[SOLVED] CPU fan spins then stops in cycle. No boot/display

Aug 8, 2020
Hit the power button, cpu fan lights up and spins then stops, spins then stops forever. Also no boot/display

Processor: i3-550
Mobo: lenovo oem lga 1156 mobo

Tried a few quick fixes

1. Remove all the wires and storage except for the front panel connector. same thing happens

2. Put the ram in other ram slots, Change the ram(working one), same thing happens

3. Tried the ram into a working computer and it works

4. Change the PSU(working one), same thing happens

5. Tried the PSU into a working computer and it also works.

What I know works: Ram and PSU

What I know doesn't work: Mobo and Processor

Also tried this "take out the CPU and ram and try to power it, but leave the CPU fans connected" -from Skibo1219

And the Cpu fan works just fine(lights up and doesnt stop)

What's the meaning of this ? The processor is dead? Or what else.

Can someone help me. Thanks

Solution
Yes, when I noticed it I immediately clean it and put new thermal paste.

1-5 quick fixes (in main thread) are done before I noticed and put thermal paste. All other tests are done after putting one in.

Next really stupid question, but did you hold down [del] or [F2] or [ins] on power up?

99% of motherboards out there need a CPU in socket for the BIOS to appear btw. So it's no wonder the system stayed on when the processor was removed. It was likely waiting for a good state signal.

I'm afraid, If the BIOS hold down startup trip doesn't work, there isn't much you can do.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the PSU? You're going to have to mention both the PSU's used for your troubleshooting run. Model for your prebuilt Lenovo system? An SKU will help us two fold.

Might want to list your full system's specs in case the system is a mish mash of parts.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Reactions: JayChange
Aug 8, 2020
Make and model of the PSU? You're going to have to mention both the PSU's used for your troubleshooting run. Model for your prebuilt Lenovo system? An SKU will help us two fold.

Might want to list your full system's specs in case the system is a mish mash of parts.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

CPU: i3-550
Motherboard: lenovo CIH55C V:1.0
Ram: Emaxx Ddr3-1333 4gb
SSD/HDD: Kingston A400 120gb SSD
GPU: None
PSU: Acer psu, LITEON model #: PS-5251-7

Tested with:
Ram: Samsung 4Gb 1Rx8 PC3-12800U-11-13-A1
PSU: Dell Psu, Model #: L265AM-00(From Dell Optiplex 790)

CPU: i3-550
Motherboard: lenovo CIH55C V:1.0
Ram: Emaxx Ddr3-1333 4gb
SSD/HDD: Kingston A400 120gb SSD
GPU: None
PSU: Acer psu, LITEON model #: PS-5251-7

Tested with:
Ram: Samsung 4Gb 1Rx8 PC3-12800U-11-13-A1
PSU: Dell Psu, Model #: L265AM-00(From Dell Optiplex 790)

That processor is quite literally over 10 years old.

If I were to bet money I would guess its the motherboard. Paste Capacitors have a tendency to go bad with time. But the real way to tell is look for a diagnostic code (tiny led lights on motherboard), or if the motherboard has a speaker header, a beep code.

The good news is a new more powerful system can be had for $150. That includes new RAM. $50 Athlon chip $60 mb $40 single stick 8gb ram

Aug 8, 2020

If I were to bet money I would guess its the motherboard. Paste Capacitors have a tendency to go bad with time. But the real way to tell is look for a diagnostic code (tiny led lights on motherboard), or if the motherboard has a speaker header, a beep code.

The good news is a new more powerful system can be had for $150. That includes new RAM. $50 Athlon chip $60 mb $40 single stick 8gb ram
Actually I'm flipping computers now that's why I had this 10year old cpu with me.
Im saving up to buy myself a Ryzen Cpu, a Ryzen 3 3200g, 3 3300x, 5 3600 or the upcoming Ryzen 5 4600.

So even if its old, I really want to fix this, sell and be done with it.

Aug 8, 2020
1 more thing that I noticed was when i tried this
"take out the CPU and ram and try to power it, but leave the CPU fans connected" -from Skibo1219
there is no thermal paste in the processor(literally cleaned off) maybe they forgot to put thermal paste in it before putting the cpu fan.

Maybe the Processor overheats and died in the process?

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Aug 8, 2020
I also tried breadboarding
only the PSU, motherboard, cpu fan and a separate power button(got from old generic case) are plugged in. (no processor, ram, storage or any other wire)

And the Cpu fan works just fine(lights up and doesn't stop spinning)

What's the meaning of this ? The processor is dead? Or what else.
any help would be very much appreciated.

Aug 8, 2020

Thanks for the reply but sadly there's no tiny led lights and speaker header.
I did put speaker in it(audio port of mobo) but still there's no sound/beep code

1 more thing that I noticed was when i tried this
"take out the CPU and ram and try to power it, but leave the CPU fans connected" -from Skibo1219
there is no thermal paste in the processor(literally cleaned off) maybe they forgot to put thermal paste in it before putting the cpu fan.

Maybe the Processor overheats and died in the process?
Did you try repasting it yet? Thermal runaway will cause shutdown.

Yes, when I noticed it I immediately clean it and put new thermal paste.

1-5 quick fixes (in main thread) are done before I noticed and put thermal paste. All other tests are done after putting one in.

Next really stupid question, but did you hold down [del] or [F2] or [ins] on power up?

99% of motherboards out there need a CPU in socket for the BIOS to appear btw. So it's no wonder the system stayed on when the processor was removed. It was likely waiting for a good state signal.

I'm afraid, If the BIOS hold down startup trip doesn't work, there isn't much you can do.

Solution