Question CPU fan spins up loudly, goes quiet, then gets loud again for seemingly no reason

Sep 16, 2019
I built a new rig early last week, everything seems to be working very well but the CPU fan, which is the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 3700x has an annoying tendency to spin up loudly for seemingly no reason. For example, right now the PC is idle, the CPU is idling around 34C-37C and the CPU cooling fan is getting loud for maybe 5 seconds, then quiets a bit, then gets loud, then quiets a bit. Is this a potential problem with the motherboard? That's what I'm afraid of.

I never updated the BIOS because I read it's both difficult and can cause problems. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

When I play games (so far only VR games) it stays loud pretty consistently and doesnt change much until I exit the game.

Now I dont actually mind the change in noise, it only annoys me because it worries me. If this isn't a problem, I'll happily ignore the sound.

Why might a CPU randomly get loud, then quiet, then loud, then quiet while under next to no load and idling?

Thank you.

Sep 16, 2019
I built a new rig early last week, everything seems to be working very well but the CPU fan, which is the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 3700x has an annoying tendency to spin up loudly for seemingly no reason. For example, right now the PC is idle, the CPU is idling around 34C-37C and the CPU cooling fan is getting loud for maybe 5 seconds, then quiets a bit, then gets loud, then quiets a bit. Is this a potential problem with the motherboard? That's what I'm afraid of.

I never updated the BIOS because I read it's both difficult and can cause problems. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

When I play games (so far only VR games) it stays loud pretty consistently and doesnt change much until I exit the game.

Why might a CPU randomly get loud, then quiet, then loud, then quiet while under next to no load and idling?

Thank you.

Perhaps the fan ramp curve profile is set where it coincidentally is right on the verge of needing higher RPM to keep temps under 'x' target goal...(I.e, fan stays at 'low' until temps hit 60C, and you are wavering right in between 59-61C, etc)

I'd just set the speed at 60-70% RPM (medium, medium high) hand perhaps see if that speed is sufficient to keep it cool enough under your typical work/gaming load....

Sep 16, 2019
Perhaps the fan ramp curve profile is set where it coincidentally is right on the verge of needing higher RPM to keep temps under 'x' target goal...(I.e, fan stays at 'low' until temps hit 60C, and you are wavering right in between 59-61C, etc)

I'd just set the speed at 60-70% RPM (medium, medium high) hand perhaps see if that speed is sufficient to keep it cool enough under your typical work/gaming load....
So a fan that randomly gets loud and then quiet and so on isn't a bad sign or a sign of a bad MOBO or bad CPU cooler?

I feel like a fool asking this... but how can I manipulate the fan? I'm guessing BIOS but I also have Speedfan downloaded (although it cant seem to detect a CPU for some reason).

TRENDING THREADS