Question cpu fan stop spinning

soljay213

Prominent
Jul 6, 2022
so some time my cpu fan will just randomly stop spinning and will try to start its self back up but fail it sometimes will start back up instantly but some times it may take about 3 or 4 try before it starts up by its self. everything else is working fine and is shouldn't be my psu as its enough to handle my pc. and the wires are not getting caught and ive just cleaned the dust out a few days ago ive also only had this pc for around 7 months so i dont know what else it could be if anyone could help it would be very helpfully thanks

16gb ram
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GHz
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51) (U3E1)
QG271 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (NVIDIA)
894GB KINGSTON SA400S37960G (SATA-2 (SSD))
28GB hp v150w USB Device (USB )
corsair RM750w Gold
Intel Original E97378 LGA1155

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The symptom you describe sounds a LOT like the fan is being told to run too slowly at low temperatures, so it stalls. When that happens normally the system will detect the stall and re-start by applying full power. If it does re-start, the system goes back to where it was before - a very low speed setting - and it certainly CAN do that over and over again.

Check how your fan's speed is set in BIOS Setup for the CPU_FAN header. There may be a minimum speed setting. Alternatively, you can adjust the LOWEST speed it will use at the lowest temperature to be a bit faster.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.

You're running a stock CPU cooler off of a much lower TDP CPU, that could not have possibly come with that CPU because that CPU didn't come with a cooler? GOD knows how old that cooler is too since it's been used since all the way back in the Sandy and Ivy bridge days. Sounds like probably the fan is failing and is probably also allowing the CPU to overheat because there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that cooler could ever keep that 8700k cool unless it was extremely underclocked.

In both instances, overheating or fan failing, it would instantly shut down at some point if the fan gets fatigued from having to overwork so hard or you reach Tj Max. Granted, that platform SHOULD throttle itself to avoid overheating the CPU, but that process doesn't always work. I've seen plenty of thermal shut downs on many generations of Intel platforms. Probably more due to the fan being too weak and too old though.