CPU Fan stopping causing overheat, shuting down, dust cleaned.

Mar 8, 2018
Hello, My ASUS X551CA laptop is giving some trouble, There is no dust issue, it is always cleaned regularly. CPU heats up and the system shuts itself down, because the fan that cools the CPU fails to start while CPU is getting hot and if I disconnect and reconnect it to MOBO the fan starts but I can not keep my laptop open like that. Why does is do that? Is that a software or a hardware problem? There are four wires from MOBO to fan, can I cut one or two to make the fan run full speed all the time? or is there any other solution?

Solution
Well...it's either a problem with the fan or something else.

If the fan is easy to change, I would change the fan.

Here's a scenario.

Let's say that the fan requires excess torque to spin. When the fan is connected to the mother board there is a chance the voltage ramps up when it's called on to spin. This doesn't provide the same starting torque as when you just connect the fan to the motherboard and there is already voltage at the motherboard. When this is the case....the fan gets jolted with a lot of starting torque and it spins.

So in this case...you would have a bad fan.
Well...it's either a problem with the fan or something else.

If the fan is easy to change, I would change the fan.

Here's a scenario.

Let's say that the fan requires excess torque to spin. When the fan is connected to the mother board there is a chance the voltage ramps up when it's called on to spin. This doesn't provide the same starting torque as when you just connect the fan to the motherboard and there is already voltage at the motherboard. When this is the case....the fan gets jolted with a lot of starting torque and it spins.

So in this case...you would have a bad fan.

Solution
Mar 8, 2018
Hi,

I'm sorry for I did not mention this before, that it does it some times, I have to disconnect/ connect it sometimes, otherwise it works on it's own. When fan fails to restart I have to do the disconnect/ connect.

Please help

Mar 8, 2018
I ordered a new fan but in the meanwhile it has been running fine for a couple of days now. How can it be? I do not at all understand why it started giving trouble, and how is it self fixed. Has anyone had such issues with ASUS X551CA series? I'm using this laptop for 3 and a 1/2 years now. Any suggestions?