CPU fan stops working after installing new power supply in Dell Optiplex 9020 MT

Aug 22, 2018
Hi, I just installed a new power supply in my PC to run my new graphics card and the CPU fan immediately stopped working (I'm not sure that the fan itself is bad since it worked with the previous power supply immediately before I installed the new one).

Right now the PC is usable and at a reasonable temperature, but I suspect it might overheat if I attempt to play any high-end games.

Here are my specs, thanks for the help:

PC - Dell OptiPlex 9020 MT
CPU - Intel I5 4690
Graphics card - Radeon RX 460
Power Supply - EVGA 550W
Motherboard - (Standard Dell OptiPlex 9020 MT motherboard; required a special adapter to install the new power supply due to not having a 24 pin connector)

Solution
The fan itself may be bad. The fan header on the motherboard may have burned out.
If it is the fan then it can easily be replaced.

If all of the fan headers are not working, the motherboard may not be long in this world (may be dying).

But you can also use a fan controller to power the fans (uses a Molex power cable).
The fan itself may be bad. The fan header on the motherboard may have burned out.
If it is the fan then it can easily be replaced.

If all of the fan headers are not working, the motherboard may not be long in this world (may be dying).

But you can also use a fan controller to power the fans (uses a Molex power cable).

Solution