[SOLVED] CPU fan suddenly really loud.

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
I have a Lenovo ideacentre 310S-08ASR with an AMD A6-9230 cpu.

Recently I opened the PC up (its fully stock) to check if there was an additional hard drive slot and to clean out some dust. I removed the CPU cooler and placed it back again while doing this. When I booted the PC again afterwards the CPU fan was extremely loud, much louder than it used to be. I checked the CPU temperatures and they were 95 degrees celsius.

As of writing this I have opened it again to see if I got dust somewhere on the fan or cpu that could be causing this but didnt find anything. I have no idea what went wrong and why it's doing this. Today I first booted it and it was running at max 81 degrees and now as I am writing it is at 60 degrees but the fan is still very loud. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Solution

Recently I opened the PC up (its fully stock) to check if there was an additional hard drive slot and to clean out some dust. I removed the CPU cooler and placed it back again while doing this. When I booted the PC again afterwards the CPU fan was extremely loud, much louder than it used to be. I checked the CPU temperatures and they were 95 degrees celsius.

As of writing this I have opened it again to see if I got dust somewhere on the fan or cpu that could be causing this but didnt find anything. I have no idea what went wrong and why it's doing this. Today I first booted it and it was running at max 81 degrees and now as I am writing it is at 60 degrees but the fan...

As of writing this I have opened it again to see if I got dust somewhere on the fan or cpu that could be causing this but didnt find anything. I have no idea what went wrong and why it's doing this. Today I first booted it and it was running at max 81 degrees and now as I am writing it is at 60 degrees but the fan is still very loud. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware @BallisticFPZ !

It is definitely the thermal paste. Opening the cpu cooler resulted in the thermal paste either being off or you got air inside it causing the cpu to become very hot. Buy some thermal paste and reapply it.

Solution