Question CPU Fan Upgrade

Oct 10, 2013
I recently noticed that my CPU is running hotter than normal. After thoroughly cleaning the inside of the PC and replacing the thermal paste, it still seems to run hot. The fan is a stock factory fan and I think it's dying. It was suggested that I replace it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. The case I have is a Corsair Black Carbide Series 500R. I have 2 concerns: 1. Will this fan fit in this case? and 2. Is this fan a good option for replacing the stock fan?

Any info and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to list that the CPU is a AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz Eight-Core Vishera 8MB Cache AM3+. And the motherboard is a
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (AMD 990FX, 4xPCI-Ex,
6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
(Karadjgne's response reminded me of this)

Last edited:
1. You have a nice case with 180mm available for a cooler.

2. Hyper212 is popular because it is cheap. I would not buy one.
I had the dickens of a time trying to install one properly for a friend.
There are better options depending on your budget.
I have used and like the scythe kotetsu, here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html

The very best might be the noctua NH-D15s, a $80 cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Riing Silent 12 Red 53 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - LUCIFER V2 81.33 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 12 CO CPU Cooler ($20.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/Green) CPU Cooler ($34.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)

Some are better than others, depending on the cpu, most are at least slightly better than stock. Obviously the bigger heatsink models will have more ability. Price is not an indicator, the deepcool Gammax 400 is equitable to the hyper212, but the deepcool lucifer is considerably more capable than the TT Riing, you pay extra for name and looks.

Oct 10, 2013
1. You have a nice case with 180mm available for a cooler.

2. Hyper212 is popular because it is cheap. I would not buy one.
I had the dickens of a time trying to install one properly for a friend.
There are better options depending on your budget.
I have used and like the scythe kotetsu, here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html

The very best might be the noctua NH-D15s, a $80 cooler.
I updated my original post with additional info. Not sure if your response is affected by that

Oct 10, 2013
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Riing Silent 12 Red 53 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - LUCIFER V2 81.33 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 12 CO CPU Cooler ($20.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/Green) CPU Cooler ($34.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)

Some are better than others, depending on the cpu, most are at least slightly better than stock. Obviously the bigger heatsink models will have more ability. Price is not an indicator, the deepcool Gammax 400 is equitable to the hyper212, but the deepcool lucifer is considerably more capable than the TT Riing, you pay extra for name and looks.
I updated my original post with additional info. Not sure if your response is affected by that

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Lol. Stock cooler junk unless you got one of the later releases with the Wraith cooler, which on that 125w cpu isn't really enough for heavy usage.

Cooler choice (since you have tons of room) will depend on 3 things. You cpu, your tastes and your budget.
By cpu, I mean just how hard are you going to push it. You've got a very good mobo, so OC to 4.5GH+ won't be an issue and will help considerably with framerates. It's an FX, needs all the help it can get.
By tastes, I mean air cooling, liquid cooling, looks, leds, rgb etc. Some ppl want the performance of the big air but hate the color of Noctua fans, or really want liquid cooling with RGB fans etc.
Budget is probably the most important. It'll dictate choices overall. Setting a $50 limit procludes liquid cooling, most RGB coolers, even big air unless you get lucky on an ebay purchase.

Almost all coolers will have Intel lga11xx brackets and Amd brackets (everything fits the same) including AM4, since you don't have Threadripper or Intel HEDT, you are good. Am3+ is common to any cooler except certain models which are specific, like the Cryorig M9i is for Intel but the M9a is for Amd.

You need a better cooler, that's not in question. What is is just how far you want to go, in what direction you want to go, and how much cash you have to get there. Decisions on those 3 will dictate what you really need, what you want, and if you can get it.

FX processors run hot. You need a very good cooler in a good case to keep temperatures under control.
I do not advise spending much on a FX system which is near obsolete.
You can buy a top cooler like a noctua NH-D15s if you want because such a cooler can easily be reused on a new build.

Reactions: JQB45
I recently noticed that my CPU is running hotter than normal. After thoroughly cleaning the inside of the PC and replacing the thermal paste, it still seems to run hot. The fan is a stock factory fan and I think it's dying. It was suggested that I replace it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. The case I have is a Corsair Black Carbide Series 500R. I have 2 concerns: 1. Will this fan fit in this case? and 2. Is this fan a good option for replacing the stock fan?

Any info and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to list that the CPU is a AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz Eight-Core Vishera 8MB Cache AM3+. And the motherboard is a
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (AMD 990FX, 4xPCI-Ex,
6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
(Karadjgne's response reminded me of this)

I replaced my stock Intel fan on my i5-2500k (4.49GHz all core OC) sometime ago with the CM Hyper 212 EVO and after watching a youtube video on how to do it, I had no trouble with the installation. It is several times better then the stock CPU coolers offered by the FX-8350 series and probably among the best values in the CPU Cooler Market. I would say its a good option for replacing the stock CPU fan/heatsink. The 500R will support the CM Hyper 212 EVO it has plenty of room for it. If you have the cash there are nicer coolers but like I said few if any match the performance per dollar spent of the CM Hyper 212 EVO.

I own the entry level Corsair 100r for my current build as it was all I could afford a year and a half ago when RAM prices were very high and GPU's were insanely high and hard to find. I can not install the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO because my case only supports CPU coolers up to 150mm in height. If my case was wide enough to accept the CM 212 EVO I would have already installed it in this computer, that is how much I like the cooler. (AMD Ryzen R5-1600 build)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All coolers come in ranges of ability. When ppl refer to a cooler as a budget cooler it's not just price point. Budget coolers generally range from 130-150w. The hyper212 evo is right smack in the middle at 140w. The next range up is the mid grade coolers like the Cryorig H5 at 180-200w. Then there's the high end coolers at 240w+. This is where you'll find the Noctua NH-D14 or better. Also where you'll find the 240mm AIO's and bigger.

TDP of a cpu is an average power draw taken from multiple set programs. Depending on the cpu, max power draw is anywhere from @ 1.5-2x TDP. That's where you'll want to be looking at coolers in ability.

For an FX8 series, that's 125w x 1.5 or right in the 180-200w mid grade cpu coolers if you plan on OC or extended periods of maximum usage from rendering etc.

Which would be the Arctic Extreme, Deepcool Lucifer/Assassin, Noctua NH-U12A/14S etc.

Reactions: JQB45
Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for the replies Geofelt, Karadjgne and JQB45. I appreciate the info.

I don't plan on overclocking (had a bad experience with doing that). I'm looking for air cooling (don't have the knowledge for liquid cooling). I use the pc for gaming, games like ESO, Diablo 3, etc, usually a few hours at a time.

Also, I'm not overly concerned about the color (out of sight, out of mind, lol).

I currently have a 750watt eVGA SuperNova NEX750B Modular 80 PLUS CERTIFIED power supply, so I assume that is enough power for the mentioned fans in the above posts.

EDIT: Also, forgot: As far as price, that's not too much of any issue. I would say up to $100.00, little more if needed.

As always, any guidance appreciated

Last edited:
You have an excellent motherboard for a FX-8350.
Normally, lesser FX motherboards have inadequate cooling VRM components and need a downdraft cpu cooler to work properly.
Not so here.

With your $100 budget I recommend the noctua NH-D15s for about $80.
Other twin tower air coolers will be similarly priced.
It is a high compatibility version that will clear tall ram.
The fans are particularly quiet and noctua has one of the easiest and most secure mounts around.