folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hi , My system is a Dell 518 Inspiron Dual Core E8400 CPU at 3GHZ, LGA 775 Mobo (Dell 0K068D-model). The question that I have is that I have purchased a used stock Dell Vostro CP825 CPU Fan 4pin two days ago, since my old stock fan made a humming / buzz noise (quite loud), with an error code of incorrect speed in dell diagnostics. The new used one was fine and quiet for two days since install, diagnostics checked no problems or errors. I now started hearing that same buzz noise though not as loud and not all the time (hearing the buzzing) but that incorrect error code is back. Could it be the used CPU fan is going bad since it was fine and two days later it starts making that noise and the error code of incorrect fan speed is back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The fan motor is a transducer. If the power supply sends noise to it, you will hear the noise. It is not high fi but can replay the sounds sent to it. One posibility is the PSU has ripple on 12v supply and cound be on the way to fail. The noise Could also fool the speed detection circuit. It is a possibility.

folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

I did use thermal paste, as instructed , my CPU temp is 42C always remained at that temp, from start up to shut down (doesn't change) even before i replaced the fan with another, which is interesting and there is no performance problems at all or errors except for the error 3700;011B incorrect fan speed error (CPU fan on/off test only - RPM is fine, passed) when doing a Dell diagnostic. I have been using Speccy for a while now to check temp etc and recently installed HW monitor, but still says 42C. (107F). If it is the motherboard , which is a Dell one as described above, and if I have to install another Mobo, what would be a decent one that I could use that would be compatible with the Dell Inspiron 518 Case. I would like to keep the case and reuse my PSU, Video card, memory (DDR2- PC-6400), etc. in to the new Mobo, though its a Dell Case. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated Thank You.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I would like to keep the case and reuse my PSU, Video card, memory (DDR2- PC-6400), etc. in to the new Mobo, though its a Dell Case. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated Thank You.

See post above. Check PSU.

folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

I did use thermal paste, as instructed , my CPU temp is 42C always remained at that temp, from start up to shut down (doesn't change) even before i replaced the fan with another, which is interesting and there is no performance problems at all or errors except for the error 3700;011B incorrect fan speed error (CPU fan on/off test only - RPM is fine, passed) when doing a Dell diagnostic. I have been using Speccy for a while now to check temp etc and recently installed HW monitor, but still says 42C. (107F). If it is the motherboard , which is a Dell one as described above, and if I have to install another Mobo, what would be a decent one that I could use that would be compatible with the Dell Inspiron 518 Case. I would like to keep the case and reuse my PSU, Video card, memory (DDR2- PC-6400), etc. in to the new Mobo, though its a Dell Case. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated Thank You.

folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

My PSU is new (Shark 620 watt), interesting point, but everything seems to be fine regarding power, but I will look into that. Thanks

folivieri

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

HI MegaMan, I checked PSU with tester and it was interesting. I did tests on 24 pin , 4 pin (12v), etc of PSU and all check out fine. I plugged back in 12v 4pin to Mobo and re ran diagnostic test on CPU fan on/off test and RPM. Everything past, no problems !!!!, will continue to re run CPU tests, also CPU temp remains same. Could it have been the 4pin 12v PSU connection? or maybe the new PSU is slowing going?. It is new (few month old)?