[SOLVED] CPU fans and case fans compatability and some general fan questions.

Geasg

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Im looking to buy the "Be quiet! BL044 Pure Wings 2 80 mm 3-Pin" (Case fan) and the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO" (CPU fan).

My motherboard is very old which is why im concerned about the combatability, this is the MSI H81M-E34, and also my CPU is a i7-4790 (no k) if this effects the CPU fan.

In the user manual it states "x 4-pin CPU fan connector x 4-pin system fan connector x 3-pin system fan connector" and the case fan is a 3-pin, and the CPU fan is a 4-pin, so my assumption is they will be comparable but im just looking for reassurance. Also as the case fan is only a 3-pin can I not control the RPM of it, or am I wrong in thinking that. I dont care too much about the sound, but it would be nice to have some customisation.

General questions.
Are both the things im looking to buy a good purchase?

Should I put the fan (Going on the side of the case) in exhaust of intake, as im mainly buying the fans as the ambient temperature in my home is becoming very high close to the summer.

Thanks in advance :D

Solution
Wow, Op you just made Darkbreeze sound like a Mom. 'Don't go out in the snow until you put your boots on!' snow + socks = very bad idea. Why should hard cpu usage and under rated cooler be any different. Not like you won't possibly cause any permanent damage. I'm sure you can afford to lose a toe or three
Your board has:

• 1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
  • 1 x 4-pin system fan connector
  • 1 x 3-pin system fan connector

So the 212 EVO will work fine on the CPU_FAN header.

Your 3 pin fan will work fine on the 3 pin system fan header, however it may or may not be controllable at a variable rate. Most likely it will be full speed operation.

What is your case model that you are trying to use an 80mm fan instead of a 120 or 140mm fan? Where on the case are you trying to use the 80mm fan?

Geasg

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Your board has:

• 1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
  • 1 x 4-pin system fan connector
  • 1 x 3-pin system fan connector
So the 212 EVO will work fine on the CPU_FAN header.

Your 3 pin fan will work fine on the 3 pin system fan header, however it may or may not be controllable at a variable rate. Most likely it will be full speed operation.

What is your case model that you are trying to use an 80mm fan instead of a 120 or 140mm fan? Where on the case are you trying to use the 80mm fan?
So after checking the CPU fan was too big for my case (Unknown case), so I started looking for standard cpu coolers, without the tubing on the outside so it would fit, so I found the Cooler Master i71C, however amazon cannot deliver as quickly as I would like and I want to stick with a reputable brand so im not sure what smallish cpu coolers to get. Also the intel stock cooler I already have in is very close to the ram and I believe and cooler bigger would hit it.

As for the fans since the case is very old the only 2 fan slots are on the side and the back, side being 80mm and back being 80mm/92mm, I was initially going to only put the 3-pin on the side of my case as I thought the back would've been inaccessible, but after searching I believe the back to be a way better spot for the fan, but im not sure if it would fit, so I was thinking about buying the 80mm and trying to put it on the back, and if it didnt fit then I could just put it on the side, but if it did fit I would then just buy a 4-pin fan and place that on the back and put the 3-pin on the side, however im yet to find a 4-pin 80mm fan that ships to the UK quickly enough and im also not sure if I can have a 3-pin and 4-pin running at the same time.

edit: So I was actually looking at the Arctic Alpine 12 CO for my CPU cooler as it fits my motherboard and fits in the case, however with the company and price im not even sure if its worth the risk of my CPU to even try and put this is as im not sure if I will need a new bracket (which I cannot do), and people have said its only marginally better than stock. However this one can be delivered quickly.

Last edited:
Can you measure from the top of the CPU to the side panel, where it would hit if the side panel was installed. There are a good many very good aftermarket coolers that are significantly shorter than the 212 EVO. More expensive, but also better performance and lower profile.

Actually, maybe even NOT more expensive. The Gammaxx 400 for example, is very good, better than the 212 EVO and miles better than the i71C, which is definitely not suitable for use with your i7. That cooler can't handle that TDP of that processor and it's a piece of crap anyhow.

The Gammax 400 is only 154.5mm tall, compared to the 160mm of the 212 EVO.

But we need to know how much clearance there actually is. You may have to use a good top down cooler, and good ones are not particularly cheap if you want one that can handle the thermal design power of an i7, even one that's not a K sku.

Geasg

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
The side pannel is around 75mm away from the CPU fan, and the CPU is around 146-147mm away from the side pannel, however this comes into direct contact with the place where a side fan would go.

Geasg

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kabuto 3 79 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.95 @ Amazon)

It's a top down design and at 130mm tall will fit under the opening on the side panel, so basically taking the place of the fan there, leaving the 80/92mm slot on the rear (strongly suggest a good 92mm fan) such as the Noctua A-9x14 92mm.
So the CPU Cooler looks good, however it cost $40 with shipping, and can only be delivered by the 1st of august and considering the weather changes where I live im going to need it alot sooner to start playing games at full load, also there are no videos on the installation and considering im new and there are reviews on the Cooler stating its got a hard installation im not sure even if I buy it I can install it without breaking something. I would buy it honestly if it wasnt for the risk of me breaking something, even trying to apply new thermal paste has been a struggle for me so.

As for the case fan I was looking at that one and most likely will order it.

Edit: Also with the case fan should I exhaust or intake?

Last edited:
You aren't going to be playing ANY games, at full load or otherwise, without a functional CPU cooler that keeps your temps within spec. So, if you don't have options to get one sooner, my advice would be, wait. Sometimes, the answer is no. That's just the way it is if you want to do things right. And NOT doing things right, USUALLY ends up badly. But nobody ever listens until they find out for themselves.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, Op you just made Darkbreeze sound like a Mom. 'Don't go out in the snow until you put your boots on!' snow + socks = very bad idea. Why should hard cpu usage and under rated cooler be any different. Not like you won't possibly cause any permanent damage. I'm sure you can afford to lose a toe or three

Solution