[SOLVED] CPU fans

rimrackjack

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
So I connected two fans to my cpu cooler (pure rock 2) via a splitter to the cpu header on my motherboard. My question is that 1 fan connected to the splitter is 4 pin, and the other a 3 pin (the 3 pin is spinning just fine just not sure what speed it is due to it being a 3 pin). My question is that since the motherboard is obviously sending the signal to the fans via the splitter at what speed to run at, the 4 pin fan will be following the instructions sent but will the 3 pin be following those same instructions via voltage recieved or will it just be 100% at all times?

Solution
So I connected two fans to my cpu cooler (pure rock 2) via a splitter to the cpu header on my motherboard. My question is that 1 fan connected to the splitter is 4 pin, and the other a 3 pin (the 3 pin is spinning just fine just not sure what speed it is due to it being a 3 pin). My question is that since the motherboard is obviously sending the signal to the fans via the splitter at what speed to run at, the 4 pin fan will be following the instructions sent but will the 3 pin be following those same instructions via voltage recieved or will it just be 100% at all times?
If hat's original spliter, 3 pin is actually missing tachometer lead. That's so controller is not confused and both fans turn at same speed.
Depends on your motherboard as some have headers hybrid fan headers that can control speed via PWM and Voltage. All of my fan headers are of the hybrid type so double check your motherboard manual to see and if you control the fans via BIOS whatever you set so quiet, normal, etc it should work....Finally I am not a 100% sure as having two different types on one header might work differently and hopefully some others will jump in with a better understanding.

On the final point, providing a 100% does not effect you in terms of noise, it is more than fine..

If hat's original spliter, 3 pin is actually missing tachometer lead. That's so controller is not confused and both fans turn at same speed.

Solution