Cpu finally beat me

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
So, for the last month I've had major issues with overheating after my system fans failed. I transplanted everything into another case, then cpu developed an over heating issue running at 100c idle.

Finally figured that out as bought a new cooler for it and went to install it tonight.
Stock cooler hadn't seated properly due to a damaged pin after I had to replace the thermal paste a few weeks ago. In fact only two out of 4 were in the holes at all. As I removed it, a plastic bit broke off one of the pins, so not sure if it is useable anymore.

One of the pins on the new cooler was slightly damaged already (slightly spread open) but decided to try installing it Anyway. Got one pin in, but can't get the other three in. It looks like two of the pins have now been spread open and may not be working correctly anymore. And best of all, tried removing cooler again to clean paste which has gotten smudged around now, and the pin that went in now won't come out. I fear forcing out will just damage more. Is this basically end of the road now?!

Am I likely to be able to get a replacement cooler as this one wasn't cheap!?

Ironically, my original options were cheap option of buy new case and fans, or more expensive option was just buy new modern motherboard and cpu (and thereby another copy of Windows grr)..
Turns out this cheaper option has racked up the costs to almost what the other option was..

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Cost me £42 after postage for the cooler. I said it wasn't cheap, not that it was. But as it's pretty much broken on installation, wondering if I'm likely to be able to send it back as defective.

As for my components, I thought they were in my forum air info but doesn't seem so.

Gigabytes x58a-ud5
Intel i7 950 3.06ghz
Radeon r9 270x 2gb graphics
24gb ram
1x 2tb sshd
1x 2tb hdd
1x 1tb hdd
1000w psu

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
I got the Scythe Choten cooler, yeah it was the same type of pins as the stock cooler.
Alas, was in vain..finally got cooler in and seated ok..went to power up..and failed to power back up. Took to a computer shop and apparently the motherboard has shorted and now unusable, and they are fairly certain the cpu shorted too.
So its time for a new system build instead!

TRENDING THREADS