CPU=Fine, GPU=Fine, GPU+CPU=Frozen PC. Help!

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
I'm at my wits end. This week I gave my PC a long overdue upgrade, installing a Maximus IX Hero motherboard and an i7-7700k CPU.

Did a fresh install of Windows 7. Got all my drivers updated, codecs installed, programs re-installed. So on and so forth.

The purpose of the upgrade was to improve my ability to capture game footage and edit in Premiere. In doing some simple editing to test out the new system, trouble. The computer would hard freeze at random. No blue screen. No power off. Everything just stops. Even the mouse.

Looking around for answers, I ended up disabling my Realtek audio devices. Didn't need them anyway. Things stabilize. Kind of. I am able to edit, but exporting the video still causes the freeze.

Thinking maybe it was Premiere Elements, I started a trial of Premiere Pro and got the same effect. At the advice of their forums, I rolled back my GPU (GeForce GTX 670) to a six month old driver. That helped a bit. At last check I'm running a 50% success rate in exporting video. (Also, Premiere Elements won't start up at all now, but that's a whole other issue).

Thinking it was the graphics card, I've tried various configurations, including removing my graphics card and running off the motherboard. Same thing happens.

The issue is more than just Premiere. Capturing game footage via OBS is a crapshoot as well. I've successfully captured games of Overwatch running 1080 60. And I've had my computer freeze recording footage of Mario Maker through my capture card.

Intel's CPU diagnostic came back green and I just did a 20 minute CPU stress test using Extreme Tuning Utility. Checks out fine.

Running 3D Mark, my graphics card made it through the GPU tests fine, but when it came to the CPU test it froze up.

I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas. The CPU seems to be fine. The GPU seems to be fine. But something about processes that utilize them both are giving my computer fits.

EDIT: Upgraded to Windows 10. Immediate test shows the problem persists.

EDIT 2: Looking at the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, it seems that my CPU is hitting temperatures of 100C and occasionally activating Thermal Throttling. It's still getting through the CPU benchmark and stress test without freezing though. The only benchmark that has frozen the computer is 3D Mark's CPU test with a bunch of planes flying around.

Edit 3: An image link to CPU and GPU data. https://imgur.com/a/zgKjx

Edit 4: Heatsink wasn't the problem. Computer is still freezing up. Things that cause computer to freeze or BSOD include: Exporting video in Adobe Premiere, rapidly moving around the timeline in Adobe Premiere, capturing 1080 60 footage with OBS, and 3D Mark's CPU AI/Physics tests. Problem persists with one or both RAM sticks and regardless of using the on-board GPU or my GeForce 670.

i7-7700k CPU.

Did a fresh install of Windows 7

Microsoft does not support the use of Windows 7 with 7th Generation Intel Kaby Lake CPUs. It does with 6th Generation Skylake CPUs.

If you look at the motherboard specifications page, the last line:
Windows® 8.1 64-bit and Windows® 7 32/64-bit are only supported when using 6th Generation Intel® Processors

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

I did do a workaround to let Windows 7 receive updates with the CPU instead of telling me to go to 10. Was really trying to avoid it, but I guess I'll see if switching to 10 works any better.

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

Okay, new OS. Same problem. Got Windows 10 installed overnight. First attempt and rendering resulted in the same hard freeze. Going to start making all the driver updates and such for 10, but I would sure appreciate some other suggestions in the meantime.

I'd first completely remove the GPU, and test for stability using just the onboard graphics...

Nuke and pave again. If you are using a conventional drive, and have a different one, try it
Drop to a single stick of RAM in 2nd slot from right of CPU
Win10 install...
chipset drivers, newest from (Asus?)
`include LAN, sound, etc...

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

No luck. I'm 80% sure at this point that my CPU is overheating. From what I can tell these things aren't really supposed to run hotter than 80c and mine's spiking up to 100c, so my fan isn't doing the job. I've ordered a liquid cooler so until then I'm just gonna go easy on it until I can get that installed. See what happens from there.

What heatsink and thermal compound are you using? Core voltage OK? (should be about 1.245 or so under load...)defaults in mainboard BIOS would normally take care of that, I presume)

(I'd still test for stability without your GPU, just in case it is 'browning out' the PSU or something)

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
I don't know the name of the heatsink. It's the one that came with my last computer. I just swapped it over when I swapped out motherboards. Pretty basic. Just a fan really.

I applied it using Arctic Silver 5.

One new development is that, since switching to Win 10, I'm occasionally getting BSODs instead of hard freezes. Once when I tried exporting a video through Premiere and once when I was running the 3DMark benchmark test. The computer got through the two graphics tests like usual, got through the first CPU test that usually freezes it, then blue screened almost immediately on the second CPU test.

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

Okay. The Good News: New heat sink is in and my CPU is running 20-30C cooler than it was before.

The Bad News: Hasn't fixed the problem. Still Blue screening or freezing.

Tried running off the on board GPU and results were the same.

No Graphics Card + RAM 1 = BSOD
No Graphics Card + RAM 2 (in first slot*) = Freeze
No Graphics Card + RAM 1 & 2 = Freeze

*and by "first slot" I mean the literal second slot.

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
$50 and four days at the computer repair shop later, they were convinced that the problem was one of my secondary hard drives and that taking the hard drive out would resolve the issue.

Spoiler Alert: It didn't. :(

Travis_64

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Okay. It kind of did. As it turns out, that one secondary hard drive wasn't the only culprit. Once I unplugged my external hard drive (which the repair guy never dealt with) the problem has, thus far, gone away.

So it was the hard drives the entire time.

I don't know how. I don't know why. But there we are.

TRENDING THREADS