CPU fluctuates badly even when no app is open

Nov 19, 2018
Hello! I have this Dell laptop,Inspiron 17 5759 for nearly 3 years now but its been bearly used...

Starting few days ago,the CPU is going crazy,fluctuating alot with no aparent reason(meaning nothing is open than task manager and it goes from 1% to 48% then goes back to 5% and up again on 60% and so on in a maner of seconds). When i open anything,like a chrome page,ie or a game or i try to access other programs in pc,the CPU goes to 100% and then everything becomes extremly slow or freezes!

I got the Core Temp and the temp on both cores is 33-43C wich i think is normal so the CPU is not overheating.Even if the CPU stays at 100% the laptop is quiet and doesnt get hot. I have updated all drivers and also the OS..

I also got the CrystalDisk to check the HDD wich also seems to run good with a 30C temp (also there i saw the hard been used 432hrs)

I have reinstalled the OS ,using 7 Ultimate x64 ...did that several times,using different versions as i thought the issue is with the OS but as soon as i enter windows,with nothing installed on it,the CPU goes crazy.

Any idea what the issue could be? Any help would be greatly apreciated :) Thank you!

This is my config:CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (2402.19 MHz)
Memory: 7892 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Ralston18

Titan
I have a couple of thoughts and need more information:

Per your post: "using 7 Ultimate x64 ...did that several times,using different versions"

What versions and where did you get them?

In Task Manager, remember to click the column header to sort usage order.

The OS may be trying to find and/or install old updates. Some may no longer applicable to or suitable for your laptop.

And after 3 years of not being used, components may be loose inside. CMOS battery weak....

mgallo848

Commendable

This could very well be the issue. The CPU usage will fluctuate high and low when it's preparing updates that may be needed.

Go to your windows updates and run it. See how many updates you have.

Nov 19, 2018

Hi there! I have several OS versions ive been using over the years for my PC,wich all work very well and also one of them was previously installed on this laptop and worked with absolutely no issues.

About WU that process have been disabled from services.

I have ordered the processes and the highest one is System idle ,wich i know is normal to be high,after this one is svc host,another one i know i cant disable..after that there are processes that take a lot of cpu for a sec or 2 and then they vanish... The problem is that once i access a browser,or my game (secondlife) or basicly anything on my pc,the cpu goes to 100% and stays that way untill i stop using whatever i try to use.

I can replace the CMOS batery,that wont be an issue :)

Nov 19, 2018

Hi,the WU have been disabled..so they cant run :/

mgallo848

Commendable
Why would you only run SP 1 in 2018? Sounds like your system isn't completely updated, drivers and all. The majority of people that do that is because they're running a cracked version of windows and they're afraid the newer updates will break the crack.

Nov 19, 2018

I use this version bcs it worked very well untill few days ago,i also run it on my pc and works great,no errors ,nothing! Why would i change something that works just fine?

mgallo848

Commendable

Simple: To patch Windows security holes. You may have a rogue virus currently running on your system causing CPU usage.

Nov 19, 2018

So you are saying the virus is still there after i have reinstalled the OS 3 times?

mgallo848

Commendable
I wasn't implying that you have a virus. I said you may have a virus. If you've installed the OS three times and still have this issue with Service Pack 1 then maybe it's time to update your system. Just because something worked well 10 years ago doesn't mean it works well in 2018

Nov 19, 2018

I dont understand what you mean..you sound kinda rude to me with your replays,but thank you and have a nice day/night!

Ralston18

Titan
mgallo848 is, in my mind, correct.

At some point older software must be given up.

Once support is gone, licensing and other such issues become moot.

You end up with a problematic system and there is not much that can be done.

Disabling updates simply means that your system is even all the more likely to have problems.

Very likely that the OS is looking to and trying to "phone home" and is unable to do so.

At some point there will be a failure.

Why are you blocking updates?

Nov 19, 2018

Ive been blocking different services that others said they drain the cpu..it wasnt only the updates. Its not the first forum i read/write to...so ive been trying different methods so far.
What is beyond my understanding is why my pc system,wich has most of the main components bought 10yrs ago,still works great with SP1 and one that has almost 3yrs,doesnt... -_-

I will turn on updates and upgrade to sp2 if thats what requires.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Let us know if it helps. It could be working better on your desktop because it may have a stronger processor that isn’t being bogged down as much as the dual core mobile processor is. Even if the mobile processor is newer.

Nov 19, 2018

I did another set of 53 updates that took almost 4 hrs and didnt update to sp2 yet,but after was done,the CPU is constantly at 100% ,it doesnt go down anymore as it did be4 that...so whatever happent now,made it even worse :(

My pc processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.56 MHz)

Nov 19, 2018

AFter restart that process didnt drain CPU anymore..however i did uninstall it now...

Ralston18

Titan
@ mgallo848 -Thank you.

No disagreement; however, I noted several websites discussing it as a virus/malware.

Would not normally expect an uninstall utility to be running in the background unless the file was launched at startup or by OP.

And taking 49% just seems to be too much for such an app. Add in the next two processes listed and CPU is at 85%.

Sort of wondering out loud for the moment.

Nov 19, 2018

The process was from Dell Asistant wich i installed for a diagnose and i havent uninstall it bcs i didnt thought it will be an issue..but now its gone and there is no difference :(

I keep trying to get to SP2 but that update doesnt come ..and not sure how to proceed

mgallo848

Commendable
Support assist agent I believe was the Dell software that would occasionally "phone home" looking for system and driver updates. It also ties itself into PC Doctor. Removing the Dell support software should eliminate the usage. I still hold firm on updating the system. I understand years ago when the Service Packs first came out, people would avoid them because they were afraid it would either cause problems with their setup while others did not update because they were running cracked versions.

It's been years now so I'm sure there should be zero issues with keeping your OS as up-to-date as possible.