CPU for 24/365 use, any difference between i7 and Xeon

Chestnut

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi,

I'm building a server for rendering and GPU compute. Usually the processor load would stay well under its maximum, but from time to time there would obviously be longer periods of almost 100% usage. In any case, the key is to have it running extremely reliably, potentially for months without interrupts. Right now I don't really have anything to base my opinion on, whether it should be i7 or Xeon.

I am wondering if there are any differences in binning the processors for desktop and server. Also, there has been a lot of discussion about the thermal paste inside Haswells, since it has replaced the soldering. So maybe someone has opened their Xeon and has insight on whether the Xeon may be different from i7 in this regard?

Since it'll be running such long periods, I'm concerned about electricity and temperatures. I can't wait for Haswell-E, so at this point I am considering either i7 4770(K) or E3-1245 v3. Do you think there is anything different between these processors (mechanical, paste, binning), that Intel ARK does not reveal?

Thank you very much.

Chestnut

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks logainofhades, I thought of that, but I'm thinking that maybe I can get more out of the dedicated GPUs if I use the IGP to drive my displays. It will have displays connected, because sometimes it will also act as a workstation. I planning to use Windows Server 2012 R2.