Question CPU for 4k60 and VR

DaGamingDragon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
So I'm buying a used 2080ti for a good price. Which means I can go all out for a 9900k. My issue is that I don't plan on over clocking and actually wanna under volt everything to keep the parts cool in a small DIYPC case that I'll fix up to make everything fit. With over clocking out of the way. What processor should I be looking at if I only want to play 4k60 games and get into VR.

I’m not a fan of the i5’s when Ryzen is an option but in this scenario it would do a good job but I just don’t think it has the headroom for the future that Ryzen has. If you have money for the 9900k then it’s the best gaming cpu around. It might help a little with VR where high FPS is important but at 4K you won’t see any material difference than a 8600k or 3600. My options would be 9700k/9900k or 3600/3700.

Reactions: DaGamingDragon

DaGamingDragon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
I got a good deal on a used 2080ti, so I'm able to get a 9900k if I wanted to but I don't plan on over clocking any of my components. I actually plan on under volting my system so that it would run cool but still have stable base clocks and boosts. My question is, what CPU should I be looking at to just get me to play games in 4K 60FPS and be able to play VR games with (I'm not sure yet) the best VT headset. Greatly appreciate some pointers and if you're interested in the build I'll have the parts I'm looking at for my build currently below:

GPU: 2080TI
STORAGE: WD 1tb m.2 SSD
RAM: OLOy 16Gb DDR4 2400
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Pilot M.2 1tb SSD

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I got a good deal on a used 2080ti, so I'm able to get a 9900k if I wanted to but I don't plan on over clocking any of my components. I actually plan on under volting my system so that it would run cool but still have stable base clocks and boosts. My question is, what CPU should I be looking at to just get me to play games in 4K 60FPS and be able to play VR games with (I'm not sure yet) the best VT headset. Greatly appreciate some pointers and if you're interested in the build I'll have the parts I'm looking at for my build currently below:

GPU: 2080TI
STORAGE: WD 1tb m.2 SSD
RAM: OLOy 16Gb DDR4 2400
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Pilot M.2 1tb SSD

Those are 2 opposite spectrums. the former task doesn't require much cpu horsepower. But once you get into VR headsets, you're going to need some cpu power, most likely higher than an undervolted i5. You need to push high refresh rates for VR.

If you have the money I'd just opt for a powerful cpu to pair well with a 2080ti. As long as your case has adequate airflow/cooling you'll be fine. Regardless of whether it's an undervolted i5 or a 9900k, if your DIY case doesn't have good airflow, it's going to run warm.

just my .02

DaGamingDragon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Those are 2 opposite spectrums. the former task doesn't require much cpu horsepower. But once you get into VR headsets, you're going to need some cpu power, most likely higher than an undervolted i5. You need to push high refresh rates for VR.

If you have the money I'd just opt for a powerful cpu to pair well with a 2080ti. As long as your case has adequate airflow/cooling you'll be fine. Regardless of whether it's an undervolted i5 or a 9900k, if your DIY case doesn't have good airflow, it's going to run warm.

just my .02
I'm not sure if VR taxes the CPU a lot but if it does I might need to step up the cooling and case. If I really want it silent anyway I might as well just spend a little more. Any VR headset you recommend in the future tho?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I'm not sure if VR taxes the CPU a lot but if it does I might need to step up the cooling and case. If I really want it silent anyway I might as well just spend a little more. Any VR headset you recommend in the future tho?
I'd wait on a headset right now. They're getting better, but aren't "quite" there yet. I have an oculus cv1, and even though i love it, you can tell they have a ways to go. I'd give it maybe another year and see whats out. I think the best all around one currently out is the vive pro. Bumped up resolution reduces the screen door effect but you still see pixels. If I had to get one right now I'd get that, but I'm going to wait for one more gen to come out.

There's some stand alone options like the Oculus Quest you could look into as well.

DaGamingDragon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
I'd wait on a headset right now. They're getting better, but aren't "quite" there yet. I have an oculus cv1, and even though i love it, you can tell they have a ways to go. I'd give it maybe another year and see whats out. I think the best all around one currently out is the vive pro. Bumped up resolution reduces the screen door effect but you still see pixels. If I had to get one right now I'd get that, but I'm going to wait for one more gen to come out.

There's some stand alone options like the Oculus Quest you could look into as well.
What about the one steam is releasing. I was thinking of getting that since it looks like it'll be the most advanced I think.