[SOLVED] CPU for already bought GPU

Oct 14, 2020
Hi guys.
I have a pretty old PC, the only thing I have bought recently (3 months ago) is 1650 super, and the only reason I've bought a new gpu is because my old one just died.

Note: I dont understand anyhing about PCs.

My specs right now are:
cpu: i5 3450
gpu: 1650 super
mobo: asus p8z77v-LX
ram: 8gb
power supply: chieftec aps-550sb

Since I've bought a card I thought that its time to buy everything else. People gave me an advice that ryzen 3 3100 is going to be a perfect fit for my gpu(no bottleneck at all from either side), so for this upgrade I will also need a b450 motherboard and a new ram (2x8gb) with 3200 mhz, which is total going to be around 320$ in my region and its an alright price. The questions that bothers me a lot right now are :

How much more (as a percentage) would you tell all those upgrades will give? Since I have already "just" bought my gpu, would it worth buying all these? Or it would be better wait for like a half year and build a PC with a ~300$ gpu + ~300$ cpu and whatever mobo and ram I would need for it? I'm not a very demanding person as you can tell by looking at my pc that I got for like 6 or 7 years, but I just can't decide should I upgrade it or just build a new from the begining since this (above) upgrade would cost same as a good GPU would worth. I also think that by buying 3100 I would get a setup that is going to be hard to upgrade later since gpu and cpu would a be a perfect fit for each other and any parts with a better perfomance would require an upgrade from the other side.

Honestly, my head is a mess right now after reading all the stuff about gpus cpus etc all day. Hope I expressed my worries well.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I'd get something with 6 cores/12 threads if possible, which often keeps minimum FPS at acceptable levels even with entry level gaming GPUs...; certainly, the 3100 and 3300X are still quite competent, but, once you upgrade GPUs later, you will likely wish you had 'more processor'.

Sell some plasma, sell Apple short, whatever, to come up with the difference to fund an R5-3600, so that you are not wishing you had more cores and threads 3 months from now, or, certainly once you upgrade GPUs...(A month from now, an R5-5600 might be available)
I'd get something with 6 cores/12 threads if possible, which often keeps minimum FPS at acceptable levels even with entry level gaming GPUs...; certainly, the 3100 and 3300X are still quite competent, but, once you upgrade GPUs later, you will likely wish you had 'more processor'.

Sell some plasma, sell Apple short, whatever, to come up with the difference to fund an R5-3600, so that you are not wishing you had more cores and threads 3 months from now, or, certainly once you upgrade GPUs...(A month from now, an R5-5600 might be available)

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Oct 14, 2020
do you have any issue running game and stuff with the old pc with the new gpu?
Yeah, some of the games I play after their updates over the years started to stutter. Example : After you TP in a big town in WoW you like lag for a minute before everything loads. Same with pathofexile - its okay when you just play the game, but when there are a lot of stuff happening the picture on the monitor just freezes for a few seconds or there is a slide show (this game is on ssd) (a lot of particle effects and monsters on the screen probably is what affects the perfomance). I also see that my RAM (8gb) is 100% usage same as hard drive when I'm having a trouble (stutters) ingame.

Sure, I have no problem buying a slightly more expensive CPU than I listed above. Its just... like a double edged sword - if I buy a better CPU (3600) - my "new" GPU will become an anchor AND I would need to replace this "new" GPU, but if I will not buy a better CPU (3600) and buy a somewhat decent cpu (3100 )then I would need to upgrade EVERYTHING again later on. But I see what you are saying, thank you for advice.

Last edited: