CPU for gaming rig

CraftedElements

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
So I’m planning on building a gaming rig that I will use to play games @1080p 60Hz as well as render some images using the Unity engine. I’m trying to keep costs down, and recently I’ve come to a crossroads. I don’t know if I should get a 4770k and spend the extra 150$ or if an AMD FX-8350 (Socket AM3+ 8 Core) I know that AMD cpu’s have more cores and are faster, but that doesn’t mean that they are better than Intel. I was wondering if I’m going to be building a rig should I go the cheaper way and grab the FX-8350? Or should I save up for a 4770k? The other option is to buy a high-end i5, I really don’t want to wait to get all the money for a 4770k.

And as for GPU, would I be better of going for a GTX 780 or a 770 with 4gb of Vram?

It depends solely on you alone however we can give you some sound advice.

I recommend you deciding between the following:

What GPU will I get if I take the 4770k ? (with my remaining budget)
What GPU will I get if I take the Fx8350 ?

Now after you have your answers decide do I need the extra power in the CPU? and then of course ask the exact question about the GPU (By this I mean envision yourself as having purchased the 4770k and slightly cheaper than AMD CPU gpu combo (since the intel will cost more your gpu will probably be slightly downgraded compared to if you take the AMD CPU)) then vice versa.

So what it boils down to is do you need the extra power? My opinion? No you probably don't, so I recommend the AMD (even though I myself have an i7 CPU) I think you can fare better with a better GPU at this time since the difference between the 2 for gaming is so marginal you won;t even notice it.