[SOLVED] Cpu for gtx 1050ti

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
I have a gtx 1050 to and a i3 8100, I want to upgrade to the beat cpu that won't bottleneck the 1050 ti and won't be bottlenecked. I don't really have a Budget right now but I want to know how much will I need.
Also I have gigabyte h310m S2H.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have a gtx 1050 to and a i3 8100, I want to upgrade to the beat cpu that won't bottleneck the 1050 ti and won't be bottlenecked. I don't really have a Budget right now but I want to know how much will I need.
Also I have gigabyte h310m S2H.

Hi @Sagi sason

If budget isn't really an issue, might I suggest you getting the best CPU you can afford that will fit in your currently mobo (if you don't have any plans on upgrading your entire system that is) and just make do with the 1050Ti until a later time when you can upgrade it as well? Would really like to steer you away from getting a CPU that's just good enough for the 1050Ti and actually do it in reverse.

Here are the specs of your mobo and what CPU's it supports.

If there is no budget, how about a Core i9-9900K? Sure it's overkill when paired with the 1050Ti but... :)

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Hi @Sagi sason

If budget isn't really an issue, might I suggest you getting the best CPU you can afford that will fit in your currently mobo (if you don't have any plans on upgrading your entire system that is) and just make do with the 1050Ti until a later time when you can upgrade it as well? Would really like to steer you away from getting a CPU that's just good enough for the 1050Ti and actually do it in reverse.

Here are the specs of your mobo and what CPU's it supports.

If there is no budget, how about a Core i9-9900K? Sure it's overkill when paired with the 1050Ti but... :)
First of all thanks, I have a limit of how much money I can get and I just bought a monitor so I have no money.
So I should just work and see what Budget can I get and then buy it? And about the i9 9900k, it will just be bottlenecked and then I just spent too much money on nothing, isn't it?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
First of all thanks, I have a limit of how much money I can get and I just bought a monitor so I have no money.
So I should just work and see what Budget can I get and then buy it? And about the i9 9900k, it will just be bottlenecked and then I just spent too much money on nothing, isn't it?
Your CPU will not bottleneck a GTX1050 Ti. So, keep saving money and buy a better GPU and CPU later.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I bought the gpu a few months ago I'm not planning on replacing it unless I win somehow a $2000 Wich won't gonna happen. I just want a new cpu because my current is bad
I would not say your current is bad. Cause i use i3 6100 which is a dual core processor but still manages 50+ fps on FarCry5(1080P Ultra). So, your quad core should easily manage enough processing power for your GPU

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
i5 9400f is what you should seek for.

Don't go for the 9900k, in my opinion. You have a h310 motherboard and I don't think investing on a Z390 mobo these days would be a good idea when there is Intel LGA1200 socket or newer Ryzen boards out there.

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Agreed, an i5 9400f without GPU upgrade wouldn't justify the money (just about 4-10% increase in fps).

an i5 9400f + GTX 1650 Super would be ideal
I can't upgrade my gpu because my power supply doesn't have a cables for a gpu, so the gtx 1050 ti is the only one I can use.
And why the i5 9400f won't matter?

Sagi sason

Great
Mar 11, 2020
Reactions: dr.strango
Sagi sason
Choosing what to upgrade depends on what you want to do now and in the future. What games and programs are you playing now. What do you want to play in the future? An i5-9400F is only about 10-15% faster per core compared to an i3-8100. It's going to give a very slight increase in performance if the game or program uses only 4 cores/threads. Two extra cores may only increase performance by around 25%, which may only be around a 10-12fps difference compared to what you have now with your GTX 1050 TI.

The GTX 1650 Super is an actual upgrade over a 1050TI at around 60-90% faster depending on the game, but the money spent on that would be better saved for a much faster card in the future and within the same price range as a GTX 1650 Super to RTX 2060 super. Upgrading to at minimum a GTX 1660 Super would probably give you the best fps increase right now and still be a good option for a CPU upgrade in the future. Edit - You can also sell the GTX 1050 TI to help pay for an upgrade.

I would say, wait for Ryzen 4000 and RTX 3000 to release later this year, then make a decision on an upgrade. You may be able to get a better deal that fits your budget and you may have extra money saved up to get better hardware than what you can afford right now.

Reactions: RodroX and Ziadul87

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I can't upgrade my gpu because my power supply doesn't have a cables for a gpu, so the gtx 1050 ti is the only one I can use.
And why the i5 9400f won't matter?
You won't get fps boost due to GTX 1050 Ti.
Either buy a good GPU later(if you upgrade your CPU now). Or skip the CPU upgrade and buy a GTX 1650 (Non-super) as it doesn't need any extra cables from PSU:)

BUT, if you're going to buy a GPU better than GTX1650 and willing to buy a PSU later on, you can now buy a i5 9400f. Just don't expect noticable fps boost without GPU upgrade.

You won't get fps boost due to GTX 1050 Ti.
Either buy a good GPU later(if you upgrade your CPU now). Or skip the CPU upgrade and buy a GTX 1650 (Non-super) as it doesn't need any extra cables from PSU:)

BUT, if you're going to buy a GPU better than GTX1650 and willing to buy a PSU later on, you can now buy a i5 9400f. Just don't expect noticable fps boost without GPU upgrade.
GTX 1650 non super is only 25% faster than a GTX 1050 TI which is only going to be around 10-15fps faster depending on the game. $150-160 for such a small upgrade makes no sense. It's better to save and wait to upgrade to much better parts.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
GTX 1650 non super is only 25% faster than a GTX 1050 TI which is only going to be around 10-15fps faster depending on the game. $150-160 for such a small upgrade makes no sense. It's better to save and wait to upgrade to much better parts.
That's why i want him to save his money and not buy i5 9400f and not GTX1650.
He can just keep saving money and buy newer gen CPU and GPU a few months later.
There's no point in buying a CPU and let it get old before you buy a GPU.
But if he wants to buy the CPU a bit earlier and confident that he won't be needing a newer gen CPU (which may also require a mobo upgrade though), there's no problem in buying an i5 9400f

TRENDING THREADS