CPU for GTX 1060

Gamerscuxs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
Guys I have an I5 4440 with a GTX 1060 6GB....I a getting much lower FPS then a system with I7 7700K and same GPU of my bro....Is my CPU bottleneck?

Solution

It all depends on what level your gaming. If your gaming at say 720p you can run anything on all Ultra settings and just fly. If your on 1080p most settings will be maxed, you will see a drop in FPS when compared to 720p. If your gaming at 4K then you will have to adjust settings, maybe some are mid level, some high, a couple ultra, and your FPS will drop when compared to 1080p gaming. Really your dealing with a 4 year old processor, 4th generation processor that can only boost to 3.3Ghz and can't be overclocked. Going forward you can still play all the games, but at medium to high levels 1080p (at least...
Although not really imperative right now, you may want to start considering a CPU upgrade. Depending on what you want to get out of your system and gaming enjoyment you may already be limited, and your current CPU can bottleneck your GPU. Going forward you'll probably find more and more games where you will have a little stutter or drop in FPS and comparing your system with your brother's isn't going to do you any favors either. the i5 4440 when compared to the new top of the line i7 7770K isn't a fair comparison. Your brother will have better performance across the board.

If you want the same performance your going to be looking at an upgrade soon. The good news is that Micro Center has dropped the prices of Intel processors, and AMD Ryzen is releasing in under 2 weeks. All indications are that Ryzen is near equal to high end Intel processors and at better prices. Upgrading will require a new motherboard, RAM and processor if you upgrade to Kaby Lake or Ryzen, but you will be set for at least the next two years in the processor department for enthusiast gaming.

It all depends on what level your gaming. If your gaming at say 720p you can run anything on all Ultra settings and just fly. If your on 1080p most settings will be maxed, you will see a drop in FPS when compared to 720p. If your gaming at 4K then you will have to adjust settings, maybe some are mid level, some high, a couple ultra, and your FPS will drop when compared to 1080p gaming. Really your dealing with a 4 year old processor, 4th generation processor that can only boost to 3.3Ghz and can't be overclocked. Going forward you can still play all the games, but at medium to high levels 1080p (at least for awhile longer), but gaming above 1080p your going to be extremely limited.

I think the best advice that can be given right now is to wait maybe a month before deciding what upgrade you want to do. If AMD Ryzen performs as good as the early leaked benchmarks show it to be doing then it is neck and neck with Intel's current high end Broadwell-E and Kaby Lake offerings. In about a month we will find out just how good Ryzen is, and how Intel responds. If you want to stay with Intel you may be able to pick up a i7 7700K much cheaper a month from now, or if you decide to go with Ryzen you may have an equal or better processor than your brother, and likely at about half the cost.

Solution

To properly find out if there is a bottleneck you would have to see if the primary core is being overloaded. Technically the other three cores could only be at 70%, but if the primary core is 100% then there will be a bottleneck. Would be good to run HWmonitor and see if the primary core is hitting the high 90s to 100%.

Gamerscuxs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
Yes my CPU sticks above 95 in almost every demanding game and GPU is arround 70-90 but FPS remains solid 60s and in my bros pc it is above 75 but it doesnot matter for me.....Thing what matters is I get some time lags when GPU suddenly hits 100 this causing bit slutters....In some games even the 7700k gets slutters but with the I5 it is more gamebreaking for me...Many wont even notice ...I donot have money to upgrade to an I7 and going for another I5 I think it wont help much since resources of the CPU is same everywhere ...So I will wait and save for getting a better Ryzen maybe in 3 months....