[SOLVED] CPU for next 4-6 years

eperdos

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It is time to upgrade but can`t really chose the cpu. Now I have the I5 4690k cpu. I see the current benchs for the I7 4790k, and I think I should have bought it instead if I5.

I have a gainward gtx 1070 phoenix gs that will stay. Also I game at 1080p@60hz.

So, I mainly game and very seldom I do some photoshop work.

What is the cpu that offer now the best performance but also will age better (for about 4-6 years)> In this time I will probably change gpu at leat once (in around 2-3 years from now) along with a monitor upgrade for gaming at 1440p@144hz. My budget point me towards:

(I5 8400 is way cheaper than my budget but it may be an option? but please read my first paragraph).
I5 9600k (but please read my first paragraph).
R7 2700
I7 8700 (non k)
R7 2700x
I7 8700k is quite out of the budget but if it is worth it, I might consider it.
I7 9700k is quite out of the budget but if it is worth it, I might consider it.

Solution
Consider this... Usually hyperthreading allows for 30% more performance. So 6*0.30= 1.8. That's like having 1.8 more cores due to hyperthreading. So if we round up to 2 that gives practically 8 Cores for the 8700K. So there is very little difference between the processors with a slight edge to the 9700K. Though there are instances where hypertheading can give more performance than 30%. For gaming though the 9700K is better but only slightly. If one CPU is significantly cheaper than the other then go with the cheaper one. If they are close in price then get the 9700K.

If you can wait though I'd wait for Zen 2. It's supposed to be really good.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If I were specifically going to buy a new processor with the express condition that I was not buying another for 5 years, I would personally go with the highest level of Intel core I could afford. They are powerful, have the best single core performance and will game better now and for a while into the future. Where you will take some hit on the multi core performance as it relates to photoshop, the only drawback there is some of your time waiting for renders to complete, etc.

Ryzen's single core performance is still a decent way behind Intel. I think they (Intel) will remain more future proof.

With that said, I think Ryzen offers exceptional value to performance. I purchased one but know that I probably will look for a system refresh in a few years....mostly just because I enjoy building as a hobby and past time, not that I expect it not to perform well enough.

eperdos

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
@punkncat: first you say "I would personally go with the highest level of Intel core". Then, you say " ...[Ryzen]...will remain more future proof". So Ryzen will be more future proof or Intel?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Budget wise I think this makes a lot of sense, however keep in mind how old both that proc, and your current equipment it. LGA1150 motherboards aren't exactly growing on trees any more if you have issue, new anyway.
Buying used is an option that could save a great deal of money in that dept. but then are counting on trusted sellers that didn't OC the life out of it.

Given that a 4790K costs nearly the same as an 8th gen i7 new, I would pony up the extra dollars for the mobo/RAM combo as well. Part of upgrading.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Inferred as Intel will remain for future proof, IMO, sorry for the confusing wording.

eperdos

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Unfortunately, I7 8700 non k is imposible to find on stock in my country.

Should I choose I7 8700k (more threads) or I7 9700k (more cores, less threads)?

What motherboard should I choose for each cpu? A motherboard that provide goodsupport for OC while not paying a fortune for it. Should have at least 1 m.2 slot and should NOT be Asrock (as my last 2 mobos were Asrock and both failed after 4-5 years). Also, a friendliers BIOS would help as I didn`t OC before.

Consider this... Usually hyperthreading allows for 30% more performance. So 6*0.30= 1.8. That's like having 1.8 more cores due to hyperthreading. So if we round up to 2 that gives practically 8 Cores for the 8700K. So there is very little difference between the processors with a slight edge to the 9700K. Though there are instances where hypertheading can give more performance than 30%. For gaming though the 9700K is better but only slightly. If one CPU is significantly cheaper than the other then go with the cheaper one. If they are close in price then get the 9700K.

If you can wait though I'd wait for Zen 2. It's supposed to be really good.

Solution

No one can guarantee that a mobo will last more than 4-5 years, the brand may have individuals that in ten years time are still running, will yours be there, only time will tell. Your usage, cooling, power cleanliness, accessories, ambient conditions, never mind how close to perfect yours is. My Asus has been running a 25% oc since 2012. It could stop tomorrow.

I think 4-5 years is reasonable, more than that and you are in unchartable territory.

eperdos

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
So, right now, there is an offer for i7 8700 @ 412$, i7 8700k @ 433$ and i7 9700k @ 476$ . So, at this 10% difference point, witch should I choose?

Also, I`m considering Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming K3 @ 143$ and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL16 2x 8gb @ 129$

Consider prices are from EU, so I transformed in $ for reference.

The only issue I see with 4-6 years now is that for a while, AMD was not really competitive. Now they've come out swinging. As long as they stay competitive, I do believe your best bet is AMD.

I say that because they usually support sockets longer than Intel does. They brought out ryzen socket am4) in 2017. They are planning by all accounts to support it through 2020. Intel usually seems to want to make you change every other year or so.

Since Intel was allowed to basically operate as though they had no competitor they were able to rest easy. Since ryzen, I think they were blindsided and don't have a real answer. I would buy the fastest cpu you can afford when you get it.

eperdos

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
So, as I can understand, 9700k IS the fastest of the 3 by around 10% or less. But maybe resale value is higher, being the newest. So the 10% higher price can worth. So, I will go with I7 9700k. What about the motherboard? I know I should upgrade it to latest BIOS for 9th gen support. But beyond this, will it do well when OC?

About intel vs AMD competition and future proofing: I really, really am at the verge of making the transition towards red team. If not anything else, for the sake of "game". Would be interesting to have a different platform. Still, the price difference of the total costs (including mobo and ram) isn`t so atractive. I mean, I win 100$ for the cpu, but then I loose around 50$ for the mother board (x470). At 50$ lower price, it is not a choice. I know I can go "b" motherboard, but then will the ryzen cpu unfold to its true potential? So, my budget can accept 100$ more, if performance justifies. And right now, that is the route I take.