[SOLVED] CPU for RTX 3080 ?

alssandro1001

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
I need to upgrade my graphic card to 3080 but I am not sure if I can get the best of this card with my old processor i7 6700k.
Do i need to buy new cpu or the old one on is enough .
If I upgrade cpu what the best cpu for taking the best of this card

note : I play my games on 4K and 60 FPS , I don’t care about higher than 60 FPS , all what I want is 4K and solid 60Fps without frame drop.

My current pc:
Pro: Intel core i7 6700k
Gpu 1080 nvidia
Motherboard Msi Z170i
Windows 10 pro
Ram 16gb ddr4 crosair
Hard disk see Samsung 850 pro

Solution
From all the reviews out there recommending a CPU is going to be heavily based on your budget, and what you use your computer for. If you use your computer professionally or semi professionally and do content creation and also use it for gaming you are looking at a larger core CPU 10900K, or even better the Ryzen 9 5900X (maybe even 5950X if you have need of that many cores). Saying that no matter what you are going to have to get a new motherboard really the best options right now are to go with Ryzen 5000. If all you are doing is gaming then the Ryzen 5600X is actually more than capable of handling the awesome power of the RTX 3080 for gaming only. If you want a little more future proofing or need more than six cores the Ryzen...
I need to upgrade my graphic card to 3080 but I am not sure if I can get the best of this card with my old processor i7 6700k.
Do i need to buy new cpu or the old one on is enough .
If I upgrade cpu what the best cpu for taking the best of this card

note : I play my games on 4K and 60 FPS , I don’t care about higher than 60 FPS , all what I want is 4K and solid 60Fps without frame drop.

My current pc:
Pro: Intel core i7 6700k
Gpu 1080 nvidia
Motherboard Msi Z170i
Windows 10 pro
Ram 16gb ddr4 crosair
Hard disk see Samsung 850 pro
Add the 3080 and then test.

Feb 14, 2021
Unfortunately your processor is too weak for this graphic card. But if i were in your shoes i will try it before i change cpu.
Because with that Motherboard you cannot use Intel Core i9-9900K for example. You have to change and motherboard....

Turn MCE on within the BIOS, and try Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, specifying 4.7 GHz as the top clock speed for 1,2,3, and all core configurations. If your cooling is adequate, and, you don't intent to stream, chat/tinker with Discord, etc., you might already be able to achieve 60 fps with all the games you play... (you can decide if minimum FPS are acceptable...)

From all the reviews out there recommending a CPU is going to be heavily based on your budget, and what you use your computer for. If you use your computer professionally or semi professionally and do content creation and also use it for gaming you are looking at a larger core CPU 10900K, or even better the Ryzen 9 5900X (maybe even 5950X if you have need of that many cores). Saying that no matter what you are going to have to get a new motherboard really the best options right now are to go with Ryzen 5000. If all you are doing is gaming then the Ryzen 5600X is actually more than capable of handling the awesome power of the RTX 3080 for gaming only. If you want a little more future proofing or need more than six cores the Ryzen 5800X is the most powerful 8 core 16 thread processor available right now.

Personally I just recently upgraded my personal rig to the Ryzen 9 5900X, I am running 32 Gb of RAM (Gskill Samsung B die), and I have the MSI Geforce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio. I play everything at 4K (usually 3840 x 2160) 60+FPS. This processor is also a workstation beast. I do content creation / video editing / rendering and the 12 core 24 thread 5900X is just mind blowing. Ryzen 5000 are simply the best processors available right now. Rocket Lake may come close to matching Ryzen 5000 in single core execution/ gaming but will fall far short in multi-threaded tasks and workstation applications.

These processors are still hard to find, but I can attest they are not impossible to get. Paid MSRP for my 5900X.

Solution
I’d expect a 6700k especially with overclock to do a good job of achieving 60fps in most games. It’s definitely worth trying before buying something else.

However I’d be concerned about using a 3080 on a psu that is as old as a 6700k. That’s assuming the psu is that old.

I’d expect a 6700k especially with overclock to do a good job of achieving 60fps in most games. It’s definitely worth trying before buying something else.

However I’d be concerned about using a 3080 on a psu that is as old as a 6700k. That’s assuming the psu is that old.

That is a very good point. If the PSU is that old its time to get a new one. I went with the EVGA 850 P2 when I updated my system. 850W is a little overkill for my specs but won't be stressing the PSU even under extreme loads on the RTX 3080 and Ryzen 9 5900X, not that both would be under extreme loads at the same time, but there are rare times that does happen.

I however think that even overclocked the aging 6700K is going to bottleneck the powerhouse RTX 3080.