CPU for which Mobo

tommytucks

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hi,

I have just found out that my Intel® Core™ I7-3770 Quad Core (8MB Cache, up to 3.40GHz w/ Turbo Boost will not fit into my Z97X SLI Gigabyte Mobo. Just wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion as to which mobo i should get?
Thanks!
Tommy

Solution
Hey man welcome to the club, I have the i7 3770k quad core just like you. It uses the LGA 1155 socket which is rarer than the 1150 which suits most i5 and i3 processors.
If you're looking for a good mobo a price range might be a good idea to add in but for general use and a bit of gaming you're probably looking around ~$100 for a good quality motherboard that will last you.
I would recommend staying away from ASRock because they seem to have a few issues (I had a ASRock mobo that barely lasted 2 years).
Asus is quite an expensive brand and if you're looking for something in the similar quality range look at Gigabyte.
Here is a decent Asus board : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM35P3504
4 RAM Slots, Overclockable...

Kliqx

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hey man welcome to the club, I have the i7 3770k quad core just like you. It uses the LGA 1155 socket which is rarer than the 1150 which suits most i5 and i3 processors.
If you're looking for a good mobo a price range might be a good idea to add in but for general use and a bit of gaming you're probably looking around ~$100 for a good quality motherboard that will last you.
I would recommend staying away from ASRock because they seem to have a few issues (I had a ASRock mobo that barely lasted 2 years).
Asus is quite an expensive brand and if you're looking for something in the similar quality range look at Gigabyte.
Here is a decent Asus board : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM35P3504
4 RAM Slots, Overclockable up to 2600mhz.
2 PCI Express slots, 2 x16/0 or x8/x8
8 Sata ports, 4 that give 3/gbps and another 4 that give 6 gbps.
Do a little bit of research on this board and look for what you really want, do you want a good gaming experience, do you want powerful performance, It's all preference based and I think this would be a decent board for the money.

Solution

tommytucks

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

Ive looked into Gigabyte but not Asus as much, will definitely give them a look! Im struggling to find anything on Gigabyte with a 1155 socket tbh. Asus is seeming the better option as there seems to be more. Debating whether to just upgrade my CPU but would have no idea what too! I want the PC for gaming mainly but its only to play WoW which doesnt exactly require much xD
Thanks for the reply pal!

tommytucks

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

Ah i see, thanks for clearing that up! I best get looking then and researching, new to all of this!