[SOLVED] CPU freezes after Windows 7 Reinstall

Feb 18, 2021
Hello, firstly I hope you can understand my english.
Ok, so a friend gave me his old laptop to reinsall Windows 7. The laptop has Intel 575 (Celereon I think), 1Gb ram.
Before reinstalling I opened the laptop to save his files on my external hard, and it seemed to run ok, no freezes, but I dont really know, I didn't browse on it so much
Ok, after reinstalling, when I spent more time on it to install different softwares, like browser, antivirus etc, I saw that the CPU freezes after every 10-15 seconds randomly, and the usage is 100%.
I want to know if the windows reinstall could harmed this old CPU, I really dont know if the problem was even before reintalling, cuz I didn`t browse the laptop so much before windows reinstall as I said
Any ideas or any fixes?
Thanks!

Solution
new antivirus packages stay resident and do real-time checks and the browsers tend to be bloated and have memory leaks so you'll experience more lag if you've updated that software

without adding RAM or installing an SSD, it would be best to preallocate 4-8GB of pagefile (virtual memory) after defragging your hard drive. this will at least minimize the lag as windows tries to allocate more disk when you run out of memory and assure most of your reads are in a cached area of disk if not available in RAM

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I agree with the rest, probably lack of RAM and a slow drive, I have a laptop with 2GB of memory and it's a paperweight by now, trying to browse more than 2 sites at once makes it crash, can't play videos over 360p without massive stuttering and loading large documents takes several minutes with the cursor being unresponsive.
Mine has Windows 7 starter, it's fine for college stuff like taking notes or presenting with powerpoint but honestly that's all, I couldn't even get on Zoom or Meet with it because it completely freezes up or spits a bluescreen.

new antivirus packages stay resident and do real-time checks and the browsers tend to be bloated and have memory leaks so you'll experience more lag if you've updated that software

without adding RAM or installing an SSD, it would be best to preallocate 4-8GB of pagefile (virtual memory) after defragging your hard drive. this will at least minimize the lag as windows tries to allocate more disk when you run out of memory and assure most of your reads are in a cached area of disk if not available in RAM

Last edited:
Solution