Mar 31, 2015
So i recently upgraded my rig.
Current Rig:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450-DS3H
RAM: 2*8GB GSkill 3000Mhz dual channel
Power Supply: Corsair VS 650

I was trying to play Assassin Creed Origins but whenever the CPU would hit 100%, the whole PC would freeze for 2-4seconds and then would return back to normal. This doesnot happen with Other games like Hitman 2, Assassin Creed Syndicate etc.
Note: Games are not pirated
I used HW Monitor and the temps are well within normal. CPU temperature doesnot cross 72C and GPU temperature doesnot cross 70C.
Solutions I tried:
  1. Disabling SMT from motherboard
  2. Enabling Maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel
  3. Setting PCI Express to Moderate Power Saving
  4. Disable Windows Event timer in BIOS
  5. Updating the BIOS to the latest version

Note: I am using XMP for the RAMs. I have not overclocked the processor or the GPU . Everything is set to defaults in the mobo as it came. Also I have installed a fresh copy of windows 10 buid 1903.

Please give me a solution to this problem. Its really frustrating coz whenever the CPU hits 100% the whole computer shutters for a few seconds.

Solution
Between the gpu swaps, did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the other driver?
Yes.. And I read on the Nvidia Discussion forum and each and everyone had the issue with the new Driver.. I used DDU to completely uninstall the New Driver and installed a version prior to that and it solved the issue...

I was so frustrated and was on the verge of punching myself and the cpu when I came across the nvidia forum were they have this exact same issue as "open issues".

For all those having the same issue, the Nvidia 451.67 version driver has this issue and it can only be solved by completely uninstalling the driver and then installing an old driver. ( I installed 446.14 and it solved the problem)

Thanks...

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
I tried capping the fps to 60 fps. does nothing. I had to buy a full PC set so was on tight budget but I think I should have gone for the ryzen 5 3600.
Didn't tried capping the fps to 45 or 30 as they looks laggy on a 60Hz monitor.
Just as soon as the CPU hit 100% the GPU drops to 0% and everything freezes for a 2-4seconds.
I use a mix of High and Very High preset and get smooth 60fps with vsync enabled or disabled except when this happens..
If it happens to a game, I am pretty sure it would happen anytime once the CPU reaches 100% mark...

Earlier I had a FX 8350 which didnt presented any problems like this when CPU used to hit 100%. I had a GTX 1050ti at that time with a Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo.
Then I brought the RTX 2060 for playing the modern titles. assembled it but got serious lagging as the RTX bottlenecked the fx 8350. The same problem (100% cpu 0% GPU started happening after this)

I thought the RTX bottlenecked the CPU so tried to switch back to the previous GTX 1050Ti. But that issue was not solved.

So I brought the Ryzen 3500 and the other parts. But still even on this PC, I am experiencing the same problem.

Whenever the CPU would hit 100%, the GPU drops to 0% and everything would freeze. Then again everything will get back to normal. Till now it happens with the Assassins Creed Origins but pretty sure it would happen with all the open world titles because of the AI rendering on the CPU probably.

Is there any solution ? (I dont have budget to upgrade the CPU currently. Its only been a week or so)

Note: Updated drivers everytime and installed a fresh copy of windows on SSD.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Earlier I had a FX 8350 which didnt presented any problems like this when CPU used to hit 100%. I had a GTX 1050ti at that time with a Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo.
Then I brought the RTX 2060 for playing the modern titles. assembled it but got serious lagging as the RTX bottlenecked the fx 8350. The same problem (100% cpu 0% GPU started happening after this)

I thought the RTX bottlenecked the CPU so tried to switch back to the previous GTX 1050Ti. But that issue was not solved.

So I brought the Ryzen 3500 and the other parts. But still even on this PC, I am experiencing the same problem.
Between the gpu swaps, did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the other driver?

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
Yes.. And I read on the Nvidia Discussion forum and each and everyone had the issue with the new Driver.. I used DDU to completely uninstall the New Driver and installed a version prior to that and it solved the issue...

I was so frustrated and was on the verge of punching myself and the cpu when I came across the nvidia forum were they have this exact same issue as "open issues".

For all those having the same issue, the Nvidia 451.67 version driver has this issue and it can only be solved by completely uninstalling the driver and then installing an old driver. ( I installed 446.14 and it solved the problem)

Thanks...

Solution