[SOLVED] CPU frequency changes from .79 to 4.79 without any programs utilized.

Jul 8, 2020
Hello, I've been having this issue for two weeks now. My bios has been updated via instant flash through the UEFI, as normal. Moreover, when sitting at my desktop with the computer running for 5 minutes, the CPU frequency changes from .79 to 4.79? No programs running on startup. All background apps are disabled. However, the only way to correct this issue is by moving the mouse. I've used all USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports for the bluetooth mouse adapter. Still the issue exists. It's as though this may be software related. Thermal paste is brand new and inspected yesterday. Core temp reads idle temps at 27-29 celcius. Thanks

CPU: i9-9900k Coffee Lake, overclocked to 4.8.

M/B: Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4, m.2 support with RAM support up to 128 GBs.

GPU: Zotac Gaming RTX 2070 super.

RAM: DDR4 32 GB's 2666, HyperX

Solution
Normal behavior in Balanced Mode...(which works perfectly; induce a constant load, and it will ramp up to full clock speeds for the duration of the load as long as you do not exceed power budget or thermal constraints)

WHen surfing the web, reading hardware forums, and playing Solitaire, you will see the system ramp up from 800 MHz to 2300, to 4500, to 4800 MHz, and rapidly fluctuate as various tasks are started/stopped.

(Even without you opening any applications, WIndows does lots of record-keeping,file indexing, file/app updates, online storage sync, etc....; just watch task manager/processes for a few minutes to observe)

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I've been having this issue for two weeks now. My bios has been updated via instant flash through the UEFI, as normal. Moreover, when sitting at my desktop with the computer running for 5 minutes, the CPU frequency changes from .79 to 4.79? No programs running on startup. All background apps are disabled. However, the only way to correct this issue is by moving the mouse. I've used all USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports for the bluetooth mouse adapter. Still the issue exists. It's as though this may be software related. Thermal paste is brand new and inspected yesterday. Core temp reads idle temps at 27-29 celcius. Thanks

CPU: i9-9900k Coffee Lake, overclocked to 4.8.

M/B: Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4, m.2 support with RAM support up to 128 GBs.

GPU: Zotac Gaming RTX 2070 super.

RAM: DDR4 32 GB's 2666, HyperX
What behavior do you believe the clock speed should have? What you describe seems reasonable to me.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What behavior do you believe the clock speed should have? What you describe seems reasonable to me.
Yes this is normal as your using Intel SpeedStep technology where it reduces the frequency to save power and keep temps low and depending on what you do the CPU will upclock to it's proper values. So it depends on load if your sitting there doing nothing or browsing it will increase and decrease automatically. But once you launch a game it will increase to its peak value. This is normal and if you don't like it you can turn it off in the BIOS and what not.

Normal behavior in Balanced Mode...(which works perfectly; induce a constant load, and it will ramp up to full clock speeds for the duration of the load as long as you do not exceed power budget or thermal constraints)

WHen surfing the web, reading hardware forums, and playing Solitaire, you will see the system ramp up from 800 MHz to 2300, to 4500, to 4800 MHz, and rapidly fluctuate as various tasks are started/stopped.

(Even without you opening any applications, WIndows does lots of record-keeping,file indexing, file/app updates, online storage sync, etc....; just watch task manager/processes for a few minutes to observe)

Solution