[SOLVED] cpu frequency drops while gaming

Apr 17, 2022
cpu frequency drops while gaming

i went in to play call of duty warzone after a long time, then I notice that it runs much slower than it used to. I then find out that when the game is running then my ghz drops to 4,36. I have an overclocked i7-8700k 4.7 ghz

Last edited:
Solution
The power limits seem to be OK.

Try running ThrottleStop.

Check the Log File box and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link so I can see if there are any throttling problems.
Check what the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are set to. If the power limits are set to their default values then the CPU will throttle and slow down when loaded. Use HWiNFO to report this information. Use the BIOS to increase the power limits if you need to. You can also use HWiNFO to report what the reason for throttling is.

r3XNDwq.png

Apr 17, 2022
mine looks like this
CPU Power Limit 1 (Long Duration)/Processor Base Power (PBP): Power = Unlimited, Time = 16.00 sec [Unlocked]

CPU Power Limit 2 (Short Duration)/Maximum Turbo Power (MTP): Power = Unlimited, Time = 2.44 ms [Unlocked]

Does this means my power is set to unlimited and the power limit isnt the issue?

The power limits seem to be OK.

Try running ThrottleStop.

Check the Log File box and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link so I can see if there are any throttling problems.

Solution
@marck0
Something is not right. The log file shows the multiplier randomly changing. What motherboard do you have? Is the bios up to date?

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how the bios is setting up your CPU. Include the FIVR and TPL windows.

What Windows power plan are you using? Try using High Performance.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022
My motherboard is a Msi z370 gaming pro carbon
i have not updated it for a very long time so it is probably not the latest update
i am using High performance

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:
Use ThrottleStop 9.4.6 and check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window.

I do not see anything obvious. You said you were overclocked to 4.8 GHz in the bios. Did you change this to 4.7 GHz?

There is no need to check the Clock Mod box or the Power Limit 4 lock box.

Try checking the MMIO Lock box.

Last edited:

Latest posts