Question CPU frequency way too high - Overheating ?

Nov 26, 2021
Hello there,

2 month ago, I brought an MSI prebuilt with an I9-11900k, nd I had serious overheating problems when gaming online. without getting into details, it went worse, then it went much better and lately, it is slightly problematic again but not consistetly.
Yes, I should probably replace my cooling solution, definitely, but I noticed something recently, and that is that the frequency of each core of the processor is going around 4700 to 5100 mhz. I am not a pro in pc but the isn't it a bit (way too) high ? on msi center, the frequncy is said to be at 40% of it's max, but still souldn't it be around 3300 without overclocking ?

And by the way, as far as I know, I am not overclocking, I never enabled it though.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you parse the model for the MSI prebuilt machine? Chances are that you may not have that many options in terms of aftermarket parts for said prebuilt, if it's a SFF system. BIOS version for your prebuilt at the time of writing?

Nov 26, 2021
It is an MSI infinite 11x, I don t know how to check my bios version if you can tell me ?

By the way, I went into my power plan and lowered the max usage to 80% (a bit radical but it was to test) now My temps do not go above 50degree while gaming ! (the same conditions I was reaching 70 to 80+ with 90 degree this morning), while still keeping a solid 60 fps ( I capped the fps to 60 when I first encountered my overheating problems, that was the only solution I've found, didn't tried to uncap it since)

What are the cons of capping my cpu usage like this ? Overall, If I put all the pieces together, My cpu is way too powerfull for my cooling method, but until I can change it, what else can I do ?

I think you are OK.
The 4700 and 5100 numbers are likely a turbo and would apply to only a couple of cores, and last only as long as the thermals permit.
Run Hwmonitor and look at the minimum and maximum temperatures.
The minimum should be 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is working well.
If you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled due to temperature.
But, with no crash, that is not all bad.

Use the balanced performance plan.
I see no cons with capping the cpu % You could experiment with higher.
I suspect99% would work just as well.
Also set the minimum to perhaps 20%.
That will reduce the multiplier and voltage when there is little to do.

Nov 26, 2021
Thanks, I had one BSOD the first time I had those overheating problem (about 3 weeks ago) and it went away when I capped my fps.

Now I have uncapped my fps and put the cpu limiter to 99% and I can finally run my games at 165 fps without ever going above 70 degree (in fact it is a rock steady 67 degree under load). It seems that it was the cause. Though I don't understand why it is going into turbo constently like this if I don't cap, since I didn't allow any overclocking function so far.

I'll be sure to be careful if I want to replace anything. Honestly I m just happy I've found a fix for this. I am more into lifetime than performance so even if I can't reach 5.1ghz, as long as my cpu don't die in a year, I am happy.

Last question if possible : So I went into my powerplan and first, I found that windows configuration was in ultimate performances, which was making mu cpu run at 100 at all time, no matter the task. Now I am in balanced with the settings said above, but even when I am at idle, my gpu frequency goes from the min 5% (around 800 mhz) to the max (around 3400 mhz) frequently. Shouldn't it be at the minimum when I don't do anything ? (not even moving the mouse)