Cpu fsb and multiplier vs ddr3 memory 1:2

airlessdavacuum

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
specs:
e6700 @ 3.3ghz 333fsb x 10multi
p5k3 deluxe wifi asus mb
2x2gig g.skill 1333mhz

So my fsb being 333 and my ram being 667 gives me a ratio of 1:2. I want to get closer to 1:1. For this I know I need to lower my multiplier and increase my FSB. I did this to 550fsb x 6 multi and 2 things happened i didn't like. didn't pass post and dram frequency options in my bios went as high as 2200 as low as about 1000ish.

These things said my real questions are this, what does raising fsb and lowering the multiplier do to your voltage values (same output, 3.3ghz)? and secondly is my calculations for adjusting my ram correct?

The way i understand it ddr is half the given number in hertz. mine is 1333mhz so i'm assuming its actually 667 x 2. So by dropping my multiplier on my cpu as low as it goes (6) and raising the FSB the closer i get to 667 the better my ratio will be.

additionally correct me if i'm wrong but dual channel memory basically just trades off the latency issue by the ram shooting info in an alternating sequence which really has no effect on my situation.

Any and all criticisms welcome

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Well your not going to achieve 1:1 ratio without under clocking your ram. You would need to set the fsb to 666 or so for that to happen. No way your going to post with a FSB that high. You best bet is to try different dividers at different FSB mhz, and see what runs the best/fastest.

airlessdavacuum

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

what is a reasonable FSB I could achieve dropping my multi as low as 6? I know I can't reach 667, but the closer the better. I'll worry about underclocking my ram later.