Question CPU fsb to Dram at 1:2

splork

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Toshiba satellite l455 s5008 T4400 Penryn 800mhz fsb
GL40 Chipset with PC3-10600s modules. Stock and Spec.

Since the chipset memory controller can manage full cpu fsb I put a pair of 12800s modules in, but the system did not switch to a 1:1 timing.

Is it possible that this is locked in and invariant?

Thanks

GL40 chipset has a maximum supported memory speed of DDR3-1066, which is PC3-8500. So not even your previous RAM should run at its rated speed.

I should also point out that 800MHz FSB is a bottleneck--it only moves 12.8GB/s while your DDR3 at 1066 in dual-channel is 17GB/s. The extra 4.2GB/s of bandwidth as it is can only be used by the IGP anyway, and further increases are not going to markedly improve the performance of the IGP because it is so slow.

splork

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
GL40 chipset has a maximum supported memory speed of DDR3-1066, which is PC3-8500. So not even your previous RAM should run at its rated speed.

I should also point out that 800MHz FSB is a bottleneck--it only moves 12.8GB/s while your DDR3 at 1066 in dual-channel is 17GB/s. The extra 4.2GB/s of bandwidth as it is can only be used by the IGP anyway, and further increases are not going to markedly improve the performance of the IGP because it is so slow.

Thanks for the comment!

I grabbed the support data from the link below and thought it accurate. Further investigating shows the laptop's recent bios update was to allow it to recognize ddr3 so perhaps it running 1:2 for both respects the limit you mention. Timings run are nearly half the modules highest speed wait states.

Poking at it to improve the slowness. I can improve the drive with a SSD but the cpu maxes out often as is.

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/do...45-intel-gs45-gl40-express-chipsets-brief.pdf

It feels slow because the 2.2GHz Pentium CPU has only 1MB of L2 cache which really slows Windows 10 badly. The fastest 800MHz FSB Core 2 laptop CPU is the T9500 which is 2.6GHz, 6MB cache and the same 35w TDP as your present CPU.

There are reports that it is natively supported in the Satellite L455 without any modification required. Just drop it in. Make sure you get the socketed SLAQH or SLAYX steppings--the others are BGA soldered.

splork

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
It feels slow because the 2.2GHz Pentium CPU has only 1MB of L2 cache which really slows Windows 10 badly. The fastest 800MHz FSB Core 2 laptop CPU is the T9500 which is 2.6GHz, 6MB cache and the same 35w TDP as your present CPU.

There are reports that it is natively supported in the Satellite L455 without any modification required. Just drop it in. Make sure you get the socketed SLAQH or SLAYX steppings--the others are BGA soldered.

It is running Win7 but your comment still applies. I have a P4 3ghz Dell laptop that chokes on win7. I find the T9300 a good choice and the link you offered is great! Has a bios microcode update hack to recognize the cpu. A google search did not turn up anything like that, Thanks Much for the info!

splork

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
It is running Win7 but your comment still applies. I have a P4 3ghz Dell laptop that chokes on win7. I find the T9300 a good choice and the link you offered is great! Has a bios microcode update hack to recognize the cpu. A google search did not turn up anything like that, Thanks Much for the info!

BTW When originally looking to improve performance I searched for a cpu upgrade and could find nothing beyond what I had.

Sounds good, as the T9500 is still pretty expensive, so I almost bought a T9300 myself instead for a free Dell laptop that was worth only ~$50.

The Dell uses those drive sled things, so all of my spare small SLC SSDs wear sleds and I can boot different operating systems just by sliding in a different drive. With the T9500, Win7-64 and Win10-64 work about the same, and actually better than expected. It had been slower than dirt with a 1MB chip as Windowsupdate routinely pegged it at 100% for half an hour.

I have a desktop with a 1MB cache Dual-Core Pentium at 3.66GHz which is a full 1GHz higher, but it doesn't seem to perform any better than the laptop does now. I think that's because for anything that's not in the cache, the effective CPU speed is essentially the RAM speed, and with only 1MB the hitrate is just too low for today's bloated software, particularly browsers. My Athlon 64s also feel dead slow nowadays, and have 1MB per core--back on XP they were nearly as quick as Core 2!

splork

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Sounds good, as the T9500 is still pretty expensive, so I almost bought a T9300 myself instead for a free Dell laptop that was worth only ~$50.

The Dell uses those drive sled things, so all of my spare small SLC SSDs wear sleds and I can boot different operating systems just by sliding in a different drive. With the T9500, Win7-64 and Win10-64 work about the same, and actually better than expected. It had been slower than dirt with a 1MB chip as Windowsupdate routinely pegged it at 100% for half an hour.

I have a desktop with a 1MB cache Dual-Core Pentium at 3.66GHz which is a full 1GHz higher, but it doesn't seem to perform any better than the laptop does now. I think that's because for anything that's not in the cache, the effective CPU speed is essentially the RAM speed, and with only 1MB the hitrate is just too low for today's bloated software, particularly browsers. My Athlon 64s also feel dead slow nowadays, and have 1MB per core--back on XP they were nearly as quick as Core 2!

5MB more cache should make a big difference. Likewise low cost Toshiba here (cost a keyboard and a paint job). Want to use it until next gen Intel cpu's come along. Running XP on my main system with a dated i5-750 running at 3.9GHZ. Will go to Win 10 then. laptop will allow me the use of sites that Win XP browsers fail on. Got a SSD for it as well.
As an aside, I have been saddened to see that ASUS Mobo's are not what they used to be.

Thanks again for your tip about looking at CPU again. Would have never found it.
Don't know about any ZWT main memory now, do you?? Even super low latency parts have not shown up. C'est la vie