Felixmagician

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
I'm a novice builder, so bear with me.

I think I'm a bit lost with the concepts here, I need to clear out a couple of things:
Let's say I have a 2.0 GHz CPU with 800MHz FSB.
How do you calculate how much data the CPU will process in a second (or any unit of time)?

Chipsets also have an FSB, but aren't we talking about the same bus here, that connects the CPU to the northbridge??
So what happens if the CPU has 800 FSB and the chipset 1066?

Dacrath

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Neither number is an accurate way to identify the amount of work a CPU does in a given time period. The only real way to judge is with benchmarks with real world applications. Generally a faster processor speed will, when judged with other processors of the same type, preform better. However when comparing different processor architectures this does not work.

At 2ghz Penryn Core > Conroe Core > Phenom > Athlon >> Pentium 4 Core.

The FSB mostly effects the amount of data that can be transfered between memory and the CPU. This will, most times, have less effect on performance than the processor speed. A 800 FSB CPU in a 1066 Chipset will run at the older 800 FSB speed. Make sure whatever chipset you use supports your processor. Many newer Intel processors will not work in older chipsets even if they have the same socket. (A 1066 fsb CPU will not work in a mother board only capable of a max 800 FSB). This is less of a problem with the AMD chipsets but I would still advise checking with the manufactures website.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
As Dacrath said, you need to use Benchmarks to make such analysis.

Your best bet is to..........

#1 - State your Budget.
#2 - State what you want to do with your system.
#3 - What Parts you need. (Do you need an OS? Monitor? How Big?)

Then Let folks make recommendations.
Then respond to the feedback to try and get a system that will work for you.

Felixmagician

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the advice, but I don't want to know what CPU is fastest etc.
I just want to understand what FSB means and how to calculate the speed of CPU.

you cant calculate it you can compare it by reading benchmarks, dont calculate fsb since amd does not have fsb and intel new processors will not use fsb either. Also the ghz does not mean much since new processors have more cashe....