Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Hello,
Wanna ask
When i game on my laptop, the cpu temp reach 85-90 Celsius but when not under load,its somewhere around 40-50.
Is this normal for my cpu i5 6300hq ? Bcause i also had search on google that it can operate at 100 degree Celsius.

P/s i bought this laptop second hand(used) so maybe is there any problem with the thermal paste or something?

Hp pavilion gaming (laptop)
I5 6300hq
Gtx 950m

Thank u

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
That's a bit warm, but within the parameters for operation.

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would open up the back and clean it of all dust buildup and maybe repaste the CPU if you're comfortable with that too.

And then whenever you use it, keep it elevated enough for air to get drawn into the bottom intakes so it stays cooler.

InvalidError

Titan
There isn't much you can do about the laptop itself other than check that its vents and heatsinks aren't packed with lint and whatever else.

Might want to get a cooling stand for use with the laptop while gaming to help it get all the fresh airflow it can use.

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
That's a bit warm, but within the parameters for operation.

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would open up the back and clean it of all dust buildup and maybe repaste the CPU if you're comfortable with that too.

And then whenever you use it, keep it elevated enough for air to get drawn into the bottom intakes so it stays cooler.
If i keep using this cpu with this temperature,does it will damage the hardware or the components in the laptop? Btw thanks for replying

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
HDDs, SSDs, lithium batteries and capacitors may not appreciate extended operation at increased temperatures if the heat does get in their respective areas.
Ouh okay thank you very much, i think i should change the thermal paste and clean the fan bcause thats the only things i can do since its a notebook not a pc,but if i using cooling pad, will it provide any positive feedback ? Since the fan is so small and not powerful enough

InvalidError

Titan
but if i using cooling pad, will it provide any positive feedback ? Since the fan is so small and not powerful enough
Some cooling pads have pretty large fans, certainly much larger than whatever is inside the laptop. The main two benefits of using a decently well designed pad are that you make sure there is no intake restriction in the laptop's fan by raising the whole laptop off of whatever surface it is resting on and also provide extra airflow across the bottom to help the rest of it stay a little cooler.