Cpu gets how right when it turns on. With liquid cooling

agesblood

Commendable
Apr 20, 2017
Okay so lets start out with how I used the Corsair h75 on my i7 5820k 3.30ghz a year and half and everything was great.
Until, recently I started to lag really bad. I couldn't really do anything, it didn't get to the point of shutting down itself however when I shut my computer off and turning it on again it would shut down after a few seconds. So I thought I might had a virus or malware that had affected it. So I hard format my computer and during the process I got this message: "Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled total events = 90323." I went online and checked for solutions... and I came to a conclusion that it could be my liquid cooling either the pump had stop working or the thermal paste was used up. I bought a new liquid cooling the Deepcool maelstrom 240 and I had just installed it. Now I noticed my temp haven't really decrease that much... I still peak 80~ degree C when I only stream twitch. The H75 peak near 88-89C.

I used the stock thermal paste so perhaps I need to add more if I want to achieve a lower temp? would this help?

I was hoping that having a dual fan would make a big difference... and with that I was hoping that I would be able to overclock it... but seeing the temp is still so high I don't think i'll be able to overclock it anymore.

My question is, am I doing something wrong?
What's the "normal" temp for i7 5820k 3.30ghz?
Is there anything that I could improve and hope that maybe I could reduce the temp on my cpu so that I could possibly overclock it?

Also I was wondering my H75, one of the "hose" gets extremely hot and the other one stays cool...
is this normal? or does that mean that it isn't pumping correctly/it's clogged? if so is there anyway to save it?

I noticed the Deepcool maelstorm both of the "hose" stays relatively the same temp so.... ya

I would like to also note that the temp that I got on my H75 once I turn on the computer and turn on speccy I get a reading of 86+ Degree

Solution
Note, good fans are not cheap. they are in 20-30$ range per unit. so it might be worth the effort to sell your new cooler even at serious discount.
AiOs I mentioned are in 130-160$ range and come with decent enough fans. It will give you better results than what you have with best fans you can find.
Do the math before going either way.

Amount of thermal paste should be very small. It has much lower thermal conductivity than metal. the purpose of the paste is to fill the tiny gaps between the CPU and cooler, but you absolutely want to have as thin as possible layer of the thermal paste.

It does not have to be the pump. may be the loop is clogged somewhere (usually on the CPU block). you can open it and see, but it will be very tricky...
you can somewhat improve by replacing stock fans that came with cooler with good ones. Noctua NF-F12 is example of excellent fans for radiators.
The best thing you can do to be able to overclock and have lower temperature is to slap a decent cooler (not some crap you used until now).
For liquid AiO, the bare minimum would be Swiftech H220 X2 or EK Predator 240. The later is now EOL and supposed to be replaced with EK MLC soon.
Big temperature difference between hoses is due to low liquid flow rate within the loop.

agesblood

Commendable
Apr 20, 2017

Ah I guess i'll start with changing the stock fans as i just bought the deepcool I wouldn't be able to return it.

Do you think adding more thermal paste would help with the temp?

So I am guessing the pump on my H75 is done then :(

Note, good fans are not cheap. they are in 20-30$ range per unit. so it might be worth the effort to sell your new cooler even at serious discount.
AiOs I mentioned are in 130-160$ range and come with decent enough fans. It will give you better results than what you have with best fans you can find.
Do the math before going either way.

Amount of thermal paste should be very small. It has much lower thermal conductivity than metal. the purpose of the paste is to fill the tiny gaps between the CPU and cooler, but you absolutely want to have as thin as possible layer of the thermal paste.

It does not have to be the pump. may be the loop is clogged somewhere (usually on the CPU block). you can open it and see, but it will be very tricky not to brake it during disassemble and even more tricky to fill it with no air left later. In addition the mounting can also affect the flow in those anemic AiOs. It should be mounted vertically with hoses down or horizontally (usually on top of the case).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS