Question CPU gets way too hot causes shutdowns and freezes

teunissen1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Hello,

My CPU gets way too hot it gets most of the time between 60-78 which causes freezes constantly and i am getting really tired by this.
i already re-installed it and all but nothing helps.
here are my specs:
CPU: fx 8320
CPU cooler: cryorig H7
thermal paste: arctic mx-2
GPU: gtx 960 4gb
motherboard: msi 970 gaming
SSD1: crucial mx500
SSD2: samsung EVO 850
RAM: kingston hyperX savage 16gb
Psu: cooler master g750m bronze certified
case: aerocool mechatron

Hopefully someone can help me out!!

WildCard999

Titan
Is it overclocked? If so return it to stock for now.

The FX CPU's should not exceed 60C, I believe 63C is the max so anything above that will cause thermal throttling/shutdowns.

Your case supports up to 8 fans so maybe it's a airflow issue.

You may want to make sure the H7 is installed correctly, as long as you don't have a high ambient temp the H7 should be more then enough to keep it cool.

teunissen1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Is it overclocked? If so return it to stock for now.

The FX CPU's should not exceed 60C, I believe 63C is the max so anything above that will cause thermal throttling/shutdowns.

Your case supports up to 8 fans so maybe it's a airflow issue.

You may want to make sure the H7 is installed correctly, as long as you don't have a high ambient temp the H7 should be more then enough to keep it cool.

Nope its not overclocked and with the stock cooler it got 50-60 instead of 60-80.
And i installed the cooler twice to make sure and i did everything right (i watched a guide how to install it and did the exact same).
i can put more fans in my case but i am getting a new pc in 2 months but i cant live with those freezes for 2 months what case fan would you recommend?

What is your temperature while idle?
If the cooler is mounted well and you have adequate intake airflow, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
The two common mistakes in mounting a cooler:

1. Using too much paste. It will act as an insulator. A small drop will spread out under heat and pressure.
  2. Uneven mount. One needs to tighten down the cooler evenly in a cross pattern a bit at a time.

Dumb question... is the cooler fan spinning?

On the case airflow, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.

Last option... underclock your processor.

WildCard999

Titan
Nope its not overclocked and with the stock cooler it got 50-60 instead of 60-80.
And i installed the cooler twice to make sure and i did everything right (i watched a guide how to install it and did the exact same).
i can put more fans in my case but i am getting a new pc in 2 months but i cant live with those freezes for 2 months what case fan would you recommend?
Something is very wrong, the H7 should easily outperform the stock cooler. Are you sure you installed it correctly? Did you remove the plastic from the cooler before installing?

As for the fans the Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm fans are good as far as airflow and very little noise.

teunissen1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Something is very wrong, the H7 should easily outperform the stock cooler. Are you sure you installed it correctly? Did you remove the plastic from the cooler before installing?

As for the fans the Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm fans are good as far as airflow and very little noise.
I removed the plastic and i installed it 2 times 1 time with manual guide second time with a youtube guide so i think so.
but here is a pic but i dont think this is any helpful: https://media.discordapp.net/attach.../IMG_20190319_174716.jpg?width=329&height=439

WildCard999

Titan
I removed the plastic and i installed it 2 times 1 time with manual guide second time with a youtube guide so i think so.
but here is a pic but i dont think this is any helpful: https://media.discordapp.net/attach.../IMG_20190319_174716.jpg?width=329&height=439
Can't see image (on work PC) although it probably wouldn't do much as even if there's the slightest amount of air between the heatsink and CPU it's going to overheat but wouldn't be noticeable looking at a pic. Since your getting better temps on the stock cooler I would just put that back on for now. Maybe return the H7 & try a different cooler?

teunissen1

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Can't see image (on work PC) although it probably wouldn't do much as even if there's the slightest amount of air between the heatsink and CPU it's going to overheat but wouldn't be noticeable looking at a pic. Since your getting better temps on the stock cooler I would just put that back on for now. Maybe return the H7 & try a different cooler?
hmm i cant return it anymore and my stock cooler doesnt work anymore (reason i replaced) so i think ill just wait 2 months till my new pc i guess.
thanks for the help

WildCard999

Titan
hmm i cant return it anymore and my stock cooler doesnt work anymore (reason i replaced) so i think ill just wait 2 months till my new pc i guess.
thanks for the help
Hmm, maybe leave the side of the case off for now to reduce temps enough for it not to crash?

Actually if you could take a pic of your H7 mounted in the case and post it via Imgur on here. (I want to see fans setup & cable management).

Apr 7, 2019
it reduces with like 5 so it doesnt help much but atleast something
Are temps much lower with the side case off? If so I'd just use it like that until you upgrade. It may be slightly louder and you may need to dust it a bit more often but if it keeps it from crashing/freezing it's better then nothing.
No I have a fan on the side to pull in cold air as well as the h55 cooling fan pulling in cold air and one fan at the top to push out hot air

TRENDING THREADS