[SOLVED] CPU GHZ to match 8GB GPU

sam6mark

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Hey guys
How much CPU ghz i need to match my 8GB GPU
and i also want to know how much GPU GHZ most of games need these days because i rather not to oc my cpu if i dont need that ghz

here is my specs

Graphics: MD Radeon RX 580, 8GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K, 3.40 Ghz Overclocked at 4.4GHZ on 1.200Volage
[ im thinking about under clocking it for long term use ]
Memory: 16 GB RAM
i play only at 1080p sometimes less than that

Solution
First off there is no such thing as a CPU matching a GPU. Second, you shouldn't have to OC your cpu any more than that and the RX series isn't exactly known for overclocking. The only real bottleneck you should see is based on the games you're playing. I don't think you need to change anything. You're good to go. If the game is old expect the CPU to do most of the work. If the game is newer, expect your GPU to take over in the more demanding graphical situations. If you really want to OC your GPU, you have to do it in small amounts like 20mhz and keep testing till failure. Use MSI Afterburner to do this. I will say that with the RX cards the small gain you may obtain will be hardly noticeable and imo not worth the extra heat...

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
First off there is no such thing as a CPU matching a GPU. Second, you shouldn't have to OC your cpu any more than that and the RX series isn't exactly known for overclocking. The only real bottleneck you should see is based on the games you're playing. I don't think you need to change anything. You're good to go. If the game is old expect the CPU to do most of the work. If the game is newer, expect your GPU to take over in the more demanding graphical situations. If you really want to OC your GPU, you have to do it in small amounts like 20mhz and keep testing till failure. Use MSI Afterburner to do this. I will say that with the RX cards the small gain you may obtain will be hardly noticeable and imo not worth the extra heat output on that card.

Solution
Dec 16, 2018

For AMD, use Wattman. So much better than afterburner.

Dec 16, 2018

Wattman also has monitoring, and can be toggled with a hotkey.

TRENDING THREADS