[SOLVED] Cpu goes 99°

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
My pc
I5 2300
Gtx670
When i play fortnit i get cpu temps at 99° 75-88% usage
144fps cap
My gpu bees at 50-60° and like 70% usage

And when playing apex
Cpu at 100% usage and gpu at 100% usage is this a cpu bottlenek

Im also upgrading to a i5 3570 is this good

bottleneck
green is gpu blue is cpu
756754cdb9a1f3700e138dfabfee55de.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
This thread is really not getting anywhere.

No matter how 'good' or 'bad' the CPU is, the 99C should not be occurring, regardless. CPU load is directly related to the amount of tasks and threads a CPU can manage at any given time. You cannot 'force' it to do more work than it can actually complete....this is why a system slows down due to heavy loading, but not why it overheats.

Overheating is a lack of cooling, airflow or both. Even a CPU which has the best cooling available can still reach 100% load and utilization and still slow down as this is due to the ability (or inability) to process threads quickly enough to allow applications to run smoothly.

An overheated CPU can throttle, which basically begins to act in similar...

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
It's probably fluctuating up and down, on clocks too. Max temp, for that CPU, is 72.6c. 99c is damaging that chip.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-2300 CM8062301061502 (BX80623I52300 - BXC80623I52300).html
its fine i brought it for £15 for cex store ima sell it back to them for £12 and buy a 3570 which works good with gtx670. For £23 from cex so yeh. And also put sufficiant paste on there and also check the cooler put in properly so yeh

logainofhades

Titan
its fine i brought it for £15 for cex store ima sell it back to them for £12 and buy a 3570 which works good with gtx670. For £23 from cex so yeh. And also put sufficiant paste on there and also check the cooler put in properly so yeh

Even if you fixed the temps issue, and your CPU was still creating a bottleneck, another i5 is the wrong way to fix it. You should be looking at an i7 3770, or Xeon E3 1230v2, if your board supports them, at minimum. The smart thing to do would be get off that ancient platform, and move up to something more modern.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Ok but dont try to just leave the cooler not properly set next time as the 3570 wont last for much time after you buy it

Ferimer

Distinguished
how is this not a bootleneck
green is gpu blue is cpu
756754cdb9a1f3700e138dfabfee55de.jpg
we have already tried to mention to you that your cpu is a low end. you are running on low and still seeing full usage from your cpu hitting 99 degrees and hitting 68% on your GPU. Upgrading yah may help with the bottleneck issue but if you don't have proper air circulation you are still going to see high temps. If you don't have the heat sink set properly with after market paste the temps will still rise. the performance boost from the CPu you have to the one you want isnt going to change much you will still see a bottleneck.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

No matter how 'good' or 'bad' the CPU is, the 99C should not be occurring, regardless. CPU load is directly related to the amount of tasks and threads a CPU can manage at any given time. You cannot 'force' it to do more work than it can actually complete....this is why a system slows down due to heavy loading, but not why it overheats.

Overheating is a lack of cooling, airflow or both. Even a CPU which has the best cooling available can still reach 100% load and utilization and still slow down as this is due to the ability (or inability) to process threads quickly enough to allow applications to run smoothly.

An overheated CPU can throttle, which basically begins to act in similar manner as an over-tasked processor since the amount of voltage required to run at full speed causes it to reach the throttling features to prevent processor damage. This means your 4.2 Ghz CPU (arbitrary example) might only run at 1.2Ghz or 900Mhz.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
Userbenchmark is a trash site. Also Fortnite is a title that can benefit from having more cores/threads, especially with other software that runs in the background, like antivirus, or anything Windows decides it wants to do. The only CPU's that should be considered, without changing the platform, are a 2nd or 3rd gen i7, or if compatible, a 2nd or 3rd gen Xeon E3 1230, or better.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
i5-2300 vs i5-3570

You'll see over a 30% performance jump by going to the i5-3570. In my humble opinion, I don't think that's too bad.

Plus, if you get the i5-3570, you'll have the opportunity to properly attach the heatsink and fan on the new CPU, which may solve (or at least help) your overheating issue.

Yes finally someone who understands me thanks thats what i was gonna do 👍

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Userbenchmark is a trash site. Also Fortnite is a title that can benefit from having more cores/threads, especially with other software that runs in the background, like antivirus, or anything Windows decides it wants to do. The only CPU's that should be considered, without changing the platform, are a 2nd or 3rd gen i7, or if compatible, a 2nd or 3rd gen Xeon E3 1230, or better.
Its not a trash site but i am gonna upgrade to a 3570 which is miles better

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019

An overheated CPU can throttle, which basically begins to act in similar manner as an over-tasked processor since the amount of voltage required to run at full speed causes it to reach the throttling features to prevent processor damage. This means your 4.2 Ghz CPU (arbitrary example) might only run at 1.2Ghz or 900Mhz.
Its fine ima get a 3570 anyway and il be ablr to add more paste and see whats up with the cooler

Masoud_099

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
if you are changing the cpu anyway i would get a 3470 instead,there is not much difference between a 3470 and a 3570,and 3470 right now is around 20$,get an aftermarket cooler for 10$ or so and the 3470 will run around 55C at load,30$ total,price of the 3570

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Its fine ima get a 3570 anyway and il be ablr to add more paste and see whats up with the cooler

At this point, it sounds like you might accidentally fix it (maybe) without following any guidance.

Seems foolish to spend money on a new CPU before you figure out what is wrong with the one you are having issues with.

But hey, Fortnite, right?

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
I really don't know why you bothered to even come on here, when you already have it stuck in your head, that your solution is the correct one, despite people, with years of experience, are telling you different. Rubix is an actual tom's hardware cpu cooler reviewer. He knows what he is talking about, probably more than anyone else, in this thread. But hey, you do you, and install your heatsink wrong, again, with a CPU that is still just a quad core, and still not achieve the performance you are hoping for.

Its not a trash site but i am gonna upgrade to a 3570 which is miles better
If you had a Z77 motherboard, you could get the 3570k and overclock it. I don't know how much extra $$ that would be over the 3570.

Until recently, I had a 3570k (slightly overclocked) paired with a R9 290 and was able to play BF5 on med-high settings at 1080p and get at least 60fps.

I have no idea about Fortnite.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
If you had a Z77 motherboard, you could get the 3570k and overclock it. I don't know how much extra $$ that would be over the 3570.

Until recently, I had a 3570k (slightly overclocked) paired with a R9 290 and was able to play BF5 on med-high settings at 1080p and get at least 60fps.

I have no idea about Fortnite.

If he installs it, the same way he did his current CPU, he will melt his rig. P67/Z77 could even overclock a locked i5/i7, by a small amount. They disabled that ability, with Haswell.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Right.

Buying a new CPU and new cooler.

Both require new thermal paste and cooler install.

Something which can be done with the existing build prior to spending the money. Or, to determine if a cooler is needed....or a CPU.

But it isn't my money, although why ask for help and then not really pay attention to it and go about telling everyone your [incorrect] opinions while ignoring their advice?

logainofhades

Titan
Here's hoping he installs the heatsink/fan combo correctly this time! I truly believe if he does, he'll see pretty good improvement over his current setup.

There will probably be more of an improvement, if he just installs it correctly, than the extra speed of the different CPU. I doubt he will see as much improvement as he would really like, as at the end of the day, that CPU is still 4c/4t CPU. 4c/8t would at least be an improvement, to the overall smoothness of gameplay.

When even a 15yr old game, like WoW, can benefit from having more than 4c/4t, it is time to move on. Have a friend that had an i5 4590, and he even had stuttering issues. I know he wasn't having any temperature issues, either, as I made sure it was right, when I built it for him. He took advantage of Microcenter's $79.99 R5 1600 deal, with a cheap Asrock B450 board, and 16gb ddr4 3000, and instantly his problems went away, reusing everything else, from his previous build. 4c/4t gaming is essentially dead.

I must have missed the part where he said he was going to buy a new cooler.

I doesn't sound like he wants to spend too much BUT get an improvement in Fortnite. I think he said the 3570 was going to cost him 23 quid? I think he can get what he initially was asking for with the 3570 AND reinstalling his existing cooler. Is it possible JUST installing his existing cooler properly would have satisfied him? Yes of course it is. But buying and installing the 3570 (or 3570k) will require him to revisit the heatsink/fan installation which is likely causing his heat issue.

It's just 23 quid guys and will definitely give him performance improvement over the i5 2300.

Last edited: