And when playing apex
Cpu at 100% usage and gpu at 100% usage is this a cpu bottlenek

Im also upgrading to a i5 3570 is this good

bottleneck
green is gpu blue is cpu
756754cdb9a1f3700e138dfabfee55de.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
This thread is really not getting anywhere.

No matter how 'good' or 'bad' the CPU is, the 99C should not be occurring, regardless. CPU load is directly related to the amount of tasks and threads a CPU can manage at any given time. You cannot 'force' it to do more work than it can actually complete....this is why a system slows down due to heavy loading, but not why it overheats.

Overheating is a lack of cooling, airflow or both. Even a CPU which has the best cooling available can still reach 100% load and utilization and still slow down as this is due to the ability (or inability) to process threads quickly enough to allow applications to run smoothly.

An overheated CPU can throttle, which basically begins to act in similar...

Ferimer

Distinguished
so yah you are definitely running an older system and being bottlenecked by both cpu and GPU. Turn down your settings to the lowest and if that doesn't help then i would try getting a few more case fans and setting them up to where they are pulling in more air to help cool it. 2 for exhaust should be alright but 3 for intake will help. You are definitely playing very demanding games on a very old system. Check the minimum specs you need for Apex and aim for that if you want to play those two games

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
so yah you are definitely running an older system and being bottlenecked by both cpu and GPU. Turn down your settings to the lowest and if that doesn't help then i would try getting a few more case fans and setting them up to where they are pulling in more air to help cool it. 2 for exhaust should be alright but 3 for intake will help. You are definitely playing very demanding games on a very old system. Check the minimum specs you need for Apex and aim for that if you want to play those two games

Minimum for Fortnite isn’t a GTX 660 and a i5 whereas my PCs is much more powerful Lansbury apex minimum Is also low specs. I think I just need to upgrade to a i5 3570 it will work better

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
A 3570 will not solve your temperature issue, and is not much faster than what you have now. Did you properly install your heatsink, using thermal paste?
I don’t wanna resolve the temp issue I wana play apex at 60fps cuz the 2300 isn’t that powerful at all. The 3570 is 36% more powerful check on CPU benchmarks heat sink isn’t properly placed

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
MY settings are on lowest on all games

Ferimer

Distinguished
I THINK that the 2300 can’t keep up with the the 670 that’s why it’s getting hot
it gets hot because when you are macing out all its core usage and the heatsink not set properly with proper thermal paste and not enough air intake and exhaust the heat will just sit in the case and heat up more and more. I have 6 case fans and the CPu fan, have boosted my 3600x to 4.35 and max temps i see are 60-65 when running at 100% all this on air cooling. It depends on your set up and what you have to pull air in a push air out and if your using a proper heatsink that is attached properly with after market paste.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Pasting my usual 'my cooler is broken' response, but in this instance, it really should apply as either the CPU cooler is not correctly mounted, or there is a significant issue with case airflow.

99C tells me the cooler is mounted poorly or clogged with debris, but could be a combination of that with case airflow.

Airflow / Fan / Cooling / Overheating - How to test, steps to resolve

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Pasting my usual 'my cooler is broken' response, but in this instance, it really should apply as either the CPU cooler is not correctly mounted, or there is a significant issue with case airflow.

99C tells me the cooler is mounted poorly or clogged with debris, but could be a combination of that with case airflow.

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.
Lol i think its because i set my battry status level thing. To ultimate performance thats why

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
it gets hot because when you are macing out all its core usage and the heatsink not set properly with proper thermal paste and not enough air intake and exhaust the heat will just sit in the case and heat up more and more. I have 6 case fans and the CPu fan, have boosted my 3600x to 4.35 and max temps i see are 60-65 when running at 100% all this on air cooling. It depends on your set up and what you have to pull air in a push air out and if your using a proper heatsink that is attached properly with after market paste.

I think itsbbecause i set my battery level or saver to ultimate performance or ultra thats why

Ferimer

Distinguished
Well if you think what you think is going to fix it then so be it. We are trying to tell you what the problem more than likely is and you are sure that its what you think then you go ahead and do what you need to, to be able to fix it your way. BUt in the end you don't have to trust any of us because its your choice to do what you want. A lot of the guys aiding you in this have been dealing with this kind of stuff for many many many years. i would trust these people first before i trusted myself with something important like 99 degrees CPu temp. There is obviously something serious wrong as a cpu should not be hitting that when proper measures have been taken but you do what you think is best man

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Well if you think what you think is going to fix it then so be it. We are trying to tell you what the problem more than likely is and you are sure that its what you think then you go ahead and do what you need to, to be able to fix it your way. BUt in the end you don't have to trust any of us because its your choice to do what you want. A lot of the guys aiding you in this have been dealing with this kind of stuff for many many many years. i would trust these people first before i trusted myself with something important like 99 degrees CPu temp. There is obviously something serious wrong as a cpu should not be hitting that when proper measures have been taken but you do what you think is best man

how is this not a bootleneck
green is gpu blue is cpu

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg