[SOLVED] Cpu goes 99°

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
My pc
I5 2300
Gtx670
When i play fortnit i get cpu temps at 99° 75-88% usage
144fps cap
My gpu bees at 50-60° and like 70% usage

And when playing apex
Cpu at 100% usage and gpu at 100% usage is this a cpu bottlenek

Im also upgrading to a i5 3570 is this good

bottleneck
green is gpu blue is cpu
756754cdb9a1f3700e138dfabfee55de.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
This thread is really not getting anywhere.

No matter how 'good' or 'bad' the CPU is, the 99C should not be occurring, regardless. CPU load is directly related to the amount of tasks and threads a CPU can manage at any given time. You cannot 'force' it to do more work than it can actually complete....this is why a system slows down due to heavy loading, but not why it overheats.

Overheating is a lack of cooling, airflow or both. Even a CPU which has the best cooling available can still reach 100% load and utilization and still slow down as this is due to the ability (or inability) to process threads quickly enough to allow applications to run smoothly.

An overheated CPU can throttle, which basically begins to act in similar...

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
if you are changing the cpu anyway i would get a 3470 instead,there is not much difference between a 3470 and a 3570,and 3470 right now is around 20$,get an aftermarket cooler for 10$ or so and the 3470 will run around 55C at load,30$ total,price of the 3570
There the same price on Cex store. £23 and also 3570 for future gpu upgrades

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
King it seems you're set on a solution. I like several others don't think it the right one in this instance but if your mind is made up then fair enough. The one and only thing I'd strongly suggest at this point is when installing your new chip please be sure to install it properly. I do not just mean proper installation of the cooler. I'm talking more about how to clean the new CPU and the underside of your cooler properly then how much paste to actually apply. Novices frequently use far too much paste and do not clean the metal contacts between chip and heat sink correctly.

Buy you're self some 91% IPA to clean your new chip and heatsink before applying any paste and look on youtube for how to properly apply said paste.

Ensure you have removed ALL the old paste from your cooler with 91% IPA (or stronger) before you apply new paste to the new cpu and re-seat the cooler. I can't stress how important that is.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickypicky5