CPU goes to 800 Mhz for 10 seconds in-game,also making Windows 10 animations laggy

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016
2 mounths ago,I bought a new Dell G5 laptop,witch did more than great on all games.I could play any recent game at ultra/high settings with no problems.Temperature tended to go from the begining to around 90 C when playing a demanding game,but I could've played games like PUBG,Call of Duty WW2,CSGO,GTA 5 and many other recent games for even 6 to 8 hours without a glimp of problem.But around 3 weeks ago,whenever I play games where you use a 3d camera(such as shooters or free roam games,this is not happening in over the top games like Fifa 19,LOL,WWE 2k19 etc),after 10-15 minutes CPU goes to 800 Mhz,reducing fps to 15-30 for about 10 seconds,then it goes back to normal for another 1-3 minutes.CPU temperature jumps between 90 and 100 C,but I've played games with 85-90 C before and this never happened.Now,THE WEIRD PART IS THAT during those 10 seconds,Windows animations such as windows menu opening when pressing the windows key or opening a folder also lag just as the game does.I'm thinking that this could be CPU throttling,but is it normal for the throttle to also make Windows 10 lag(because technically Windows 10 runs smoothly with even 0.79 Mhz usage).Why could this happen and how could I solve this?I am very stressed because of this problem.

My specs:

Dell G5 5587

Intel I7 8750H 2.2 Ghz(up to 4.1) 6 cores,12 threads
16 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM
256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD 5400 rpm (I keep Windows 10 and programs on SSD,and games on HDD)

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
To disable all animations, head to Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the computer easier to see and check the “Turn Off Unnecessary Animations” box. Click OK and you should notice that most actions happen instantly rather than with an animation attached. To disable certain animations individually, right-click on the Start menu and choose System (if you’re on Windows 7, open the Start menu, right-click on Computer, and choose Properties). From there, click Advanced System Settings, and under the Performance section, click Settings.

Under the Visual Effects tab, you should see a list of animations built-in to Windows. You can uncheck the ones you don’t want, and leave the ones you like checked. Click OK when finished.

Again, you may not notice a huge performance increase, but certain actions will feel a bit snappier because you aren’t watching animations play.

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016

Well,this animation problem is just symptom of the problem.Also,when this happens,the Windows 10 is also slow.But this only during those 10 seconds.But normally everything works fine,except for when playing a game more than 10-15 minutes.I still feel that the problem could be a throttling one,but would throttling affect also Windows 10?And could this throttling be cause by bad registry/OS?

Mar 13, 2018
Open your laptop and clean it. There is definitely a cooling issue which results in the throttling. Check if the fans are working properly and are not blocked by dust and similar objects. You may want to buy a small laptop cooler to fix this if everything inside the laptop looks fine.

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
Throttling could happen for alot of reasons. The most common ofcourse is having virusses or malware. Making sure the pc is clean is the first thing to do before making sure there is nothing wrong with the OS and then start looking if it is maby the RAM or CPU or changed settings capping the CPU.

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016

Temperature is high,indeed,but it was this way(exactly) since the day I bought the laptop.And back then,it never did this kind of thing.

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016

I did many many malware scans and found some malware.But,as you are saying,this still could be a cause,as there exist types of malware that can hide from any antimalware program.Still thinking if some wrong settings may have caused this,but I might soon go for a fresh Windows 10 reinstall.Still,I might search for some of your proposed tweaks before

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016
A little update:seems that is started to do this thing in LOL also,at the temperature of 60 C.So it might be a OS problem or a hardware one after all(and hope it might not be the second one)?