[SOLVED] CPU going from 3Ghz to .45Ghz randomly while gaming on all games, old and new. Please help, I've tried everything...

Apr 27, 2020
Hi there, this is my first time using this forum as this is my last desperate attempt to get some help. I have spent months trying to fix this with no success. So basically recently I've been experiencing this issue where on any game my cpu will go from turbo at 3.2Ghz to .45 Ghz out of nowhere, causing me to experience 3fps. It will jump back up and back down randomly making games unplayable. I have checked the temps and they NEVER overheat. So its not an overheating/throttling issue. I have tried changing my power setting to MAX with no difference either. Also when I experience this lag, I also get this weird sound lag where the sound comes out 'robotic' and laggy. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Specs: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming
Ram: 8GB
Cpu: Intel I5 7th gen 2.5 ghz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1050 3Gb
Storage: 1TB Hard drive

Solution
How do I go into the BIOS to change the CPU speed? Also what specific setttings do i need to change in my power settings? I got to the advanced area but was unsure as to what settings i needed to change to 99%.

Here the screen if you change it to 99% and check the speed and see if your happy with it also do not know your motherboard because its dell so do not want you to risk anything changing stuff unless someone eles can explain abit better how the dell bios works. Just that I go into bios and see cpu and change speed from there because my bios is easy!

hTtnuow.png
Apr 27, 2020
Control Panel
Power Settings
Advance
change advance settings
power management

Then try changing it to 99% or go into bios and change settings of cpu speed to 3.2ghz

How do I go into the BIOS to change the CPU speed? Also what specific setttings do i need to change in my power settings? I got to the advanced area but was unsure as to what settings i needed to change to 99%.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
Such activity does smack of throttling yoyo.

Try a simple stress test using cpu-Z bench.
A second copy of cpu-z will let you monitor clock rates.
Run hwmonitor to show temperatures during the stress test.

So I need to download those programs then run them all at the same time while i run a benchmark on CPUZ?

Here the screen if you change it to 99% and check the speed and see if your happy with it also do not know your motherboard because its dell so do not want you to risk anything changing stuff unless someone eles can explain abit better how the dell bios works. Just that I go into bios and see cpu and change speed from there because my bios is easy!

hTtnuow.png

Solution
Apr 27, 2020

hTtnuow.png

Ok, thank you for helping me out, I will let you know how it goes!

TRENDING THREADS