[SOLVED] Cpu got hot and now pc in a 2 seconds reboot loop

Dec 7, 2020
Hello all,

I have an old build but still performing pretty decent, an old i7 4790k along with a geforce gtx1080Ti.

The problem Im facing right now is that my wife almost fell to the floor but my computer stopped her and took a hit (I didnt know about this). The computer worked fine for a couple of hours but suddenly went black screen and didnt react to mouse movements, I also noticed a strange smell but didn't think of anything wrong because I didnt know about the hit to the computer.
So I placed my hand where the cpu watercooling radiator is located and it was really hot, not burning hot but still as I never felt it before. I took a look through the case glass panel and noticed the cpu water cooling fan had detached, so basically the cpu worked without cooling for an undetermined period of time.

is the cpu dead and this explains the infinite 2 seconds boot loop??

Solution
Hello all,

I have an old build but still performing pretty decent, an old i7 4790k along with a geforce gtx1080Ti.

The problem Im facing right now is that my wife almost fell to the floor but my computer stopped her and took a hit (I didnt know about this). The computer worked fine for a couple of hours but suddenly went black screen and didnt react to mouse movements, I also noticed a strange smell but didn't think of anything wrong because I didnt know about the hit to the computer.
So I placed my hand where the cpu watercooling radiator is located and it was really hot, not burning hot but still as I never felt it before. I took a look through the case glass panel and noticed the cpu water cooling fan had detached, so basically...
Hello all,

So I placed my hand where the cpu watercooling radiator is located and it was really hot, not burning hot but still as I never felt it before. I took a look through the case glass panel and noticed the cpu water cooling fan had detached, so basically the cpu worked without cooling for an undetermined period of time.

is the cpu dead and this explains the infinite 2 seconds boot loop??
Check pump/water block mounting and connection to it, it might have detached or connector fell off.
(Relatively) modern CPUs rarely can die from short overheating as they have protection and will throttle down or shut off when certain temps are reached. Long term high temps can damage CPU but it's mostly gradual, thru years.

Solution