[SOLVED] CPU , GPU and RAM underperforming? pls help

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello ,

I just build this pc yesterday and I went to check UserBenchmarks because I noticed that I wasn't getting the FPS that I should be getting . I ran the test on the PC and it said the my GPU , CPU and RAM were performing way below expected 7th percentile which is stupidly low considering I just build it yesterday . Can anybody help me fix this problem?

Mobo : MSI B450M PRO-VDH Plus
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200
GPU : MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr 4GB OC
RAM : Corsair Venegance 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz
PSU : Corsair CX550M

Solution
It looks like there was a lot of background work going on with your system. There is 15% background CPU usage. You should close all background programs, such as Steam, One Drive, antivirus, games etc, and make sure there is no Windows Updates.
Next, enable XMP from the BIOS to get the RAM running at full speed.
Then, update the GPU drivers if you can. Once these have been done, re-run the benchmark, and see how things go.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not exactly the fastest components on the market today. Can you link to your results?

#1 issue I see with new builders is not setting the memory speed which will greatly effect Ryzen CPU scores.

GTX970 is actually a little dated, still a potent card, but GTX1650 might rival it, certainly the GTX1660. Any of the RTX cards will do much better than a GTX970.

RTX2060 ~= GTX1070 > GTX970 3.5 + .5 GB
Nearly a doubling in performance from 'equivalent' model cards between the 900 series and the 10 series.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Not exactly the fastest components on the market today. Can you link to your results?

#1 issue I see with new builders is not setting the memory speed which will greatly effect Ryzen CPU scores.

GTX970 is actually a little dated, still a potent card, but GTX1650 might rival it, certainly the GTX1660. Any of the RTX cards will do much better than a GTX970.

RTX2060 ~= GTX1070 > GTX970 3.5 + .5 GB
Nearly a doubling in performance from 'equivalent' model cards between the 900 series and the 10 series.
How can I set my memory speeds? And the scores are based off results with the same graphics card and cpu
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18519628

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You set the memory speed in the BIOS. Consult your manual.

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB
13,076 User benchmarks, average bench 86%
2 of 4 slots used
16GB DIMM DDR4 2133 MHz clocked @ 1067 MHz

Should be 1500Mhz for DDR4 3000.

That should raise your CPU results.

Not really much you can do about the GPU results, a light overclock perhaps, but it just isn't a top end card. And is well below the last two generations mid-range cards. (Keep in mind that user benchmark is heavily skewed towards the tech savvy that overclock and post results)

If I take your meaning, I am aware of how the user benchmark results are generated. Your percentage isn't based on only groupings with your hardware, but all hardware. The bell curve for the GTX970 is represented there. Yours is sitting at the bottom of the curve, but not really outside of it. Your CPU may be holding it back a little, but it is probably just a matter of you giving it a little overclock to compare with others.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
You set the memory speed in the BIOS. Consult your manual.

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB
13,076 User benchmarks, average bench 86%
2 of 4 slots used
16GB DIMM DDR4 2133 MHz clocked @ 1067 MHz

Should be 1500Mhz for DDR4 3000.

That should raise your CPU results.

Not really much you can do about the GPU results, a light overclock perhaps, but it just isn't a top end card. And is well below the last two generations mid-range cards. (Keep in mind that user benchmark is heavily skewed towards the tech savvy that overclock and post results)

If I take your meaning, I am aware of how the user benchmark results are generated. Your percentage isn't based on only groupings with your hardware, but all hardware. The bell curve for the GTX970 is represented there. Yours is sitting at the bottom of the curve, but not really outside of it. Your CPU may be holding it back a little, but it is probably just a matter of you giving it a little overclock to compare with others.
Wait so my RAM isn't clocked at 3000Mhz . Im so confused .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, it defaulted to the stock speed of DDR4, 2133Mhz.

Even 3000Mhz is considered an overclock and is not a default setting. I believe Intel is up to supporting 2666Mhz as a stock speed, and AMD has pushed it to 2933Mhz, on the 3000 series chips, supported out of the box. R3-1200 is still 2400Mhz nominal.

All part of the learning process.

Okay, so the manual is terrible for that board.

Step one, get into the BIOS setup. This is usually F1, F12, or Delete at startup (before Windows begins loading, you may need to spam the key when you turn the system on) Some motherboards have BIOS start buttons on the rear.

Most UEFI BIOS have a friendly user mode and and advanced mode. If you don't see the memory settings, see if there is an advanced mode.

If your board has support for XMP profiles, it may simply be a matter of setting the memory to use the profile that is stored in the memory. If not, take the timing numbers of the memory. 15-16-16-18-3000Mhz and enter them manually. (An example, not a recommendation, load up CPU-Z https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and see the exact model of your memory)

Probably some decent Youtube tutorials you can find for MSI boards.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Correct, it defaulted to the stock speed of DDR4, 2133Mhz.

Even 3000Mhz is considered an overclock and is not a default setting. I believe Intel is up to supporting 2666Mhz as a stock speed, and AMD has pushed it to 2933Mhz, on the 3000 series chips, supported out of the box. R3-1200 is still 2400Mhz nominal.

All part of the learning process.

Okay, so the manual is terrible for that board.

Step one, get into the BIOS setup. This is usually F1, F12, or Delete at startup (before Windows begins loading, you may need to spam the key when you turn the system on) Some motherboards have BIOS start buttons on the rear.

Most UEFI BIOS have a friendly user mode and and advanced mode. If you don't see the memory settings, see if there is an advanced mode.

If your board has support for XMP profiles, it may simply be a matter of setting the memory to use the profile that is stored in the memory. If not, take the timing numbers of the memory. 15-16-16-18-3000Mhz and enter them manually. (An example, not a recommendation, load up CPU-Z https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and see the exact model of your memory)

Probably some decent Youtube tutorials you can find for MSI boards.
I just downloaded CPU-z and it says Im running at 1499MHz . Should it have changed to a higher frequency?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, that is correct for DDR4 3000Mhz. Interesting, you seem to have conflicting information coming out of User Benchmark, might not have full support there. Either way as long as you have confirmed the memory speed is correct, then I'd say your system is performing as expected.

You could overclock the CPU a bit, but that is about all that you could do aside from replacing it with a faster model.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
No, that is correct for DDR4 3000Mhz. Interesting, you seem to have conflicting information coming out of User Benchmark, might not have full support there. Either way as long as you have confirmed the memory speed is correct, then I'd say your system is performing as expected.

You could overclock the CPU a bit, but that is about all that you could do aside from replacing it with a faster model.
Ive seen that theres a BIOS update for my Mobo and it even says in the updates title "For Ryzen CPU's" and I heard this BIOS update is to help ryzen CPU's to be able to support faster ram speeds. Would that be my problem? Should I do the update?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is likely referring to the new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs and compatibility. Your board is second generation Ryzen, built for the 2000 series. Shouldn't be much more improvement to be had for your 1st gen chip. But you never know, you would need to thoroughly review what they put in the release notes to see if there is anything worth while.

Doing so will reset all your BIOS settings to the defaults. There is a minor risk during the update, such as power failure, that could irreparably ruin the BIOS.

It looks like there was a lot of background work going on with your system. There is 15% background CPU usage. You should close all background programs, such as Steam, One Drive, antivirus, games etc, and make sure there is no Windows Updates.
Next, enable XMP from the BIOS to get the RAM running at full speed.
Then, update the GPU drivers if you can. Once these have been done, re-run the benchmark, and see how things go.

Solution