Question CPU/GPU bottle neck...which to attack first?

Feb 12, 2019
Hi, I recently built a new system with the main components spec'ed below. The CPU and Ram were bought new while the GPU's were recycled from my last rig.

Since I recently started to play anthem alongside a few multiple instances of mobile games through an android emulator like Nox or Bluestacks (4 to be precise) I'm noticing significant fps drops that I would want to tackle. When looking at my Task Manager with the 4 instances of Nox and playing anthem on basically entirely low settings, I'm seeing 90%+ utilization in both CPU and GPU usage. However, when I'm running only the 4 Nox instances, I'm largely seeing 50%+ CPU usage and basically <10% GPU usage. Would this indicate my system is largely CPU bottle necked? Or is the fact that anthem on low using 90%+ GPU utilization telling me its more of a GPU bottle neck? Which would be the more worthwhile upgrade if I were to be able to only afford one upgrade or the other or is fixing this issue going to require upgrading both the GPU and CPU. I'm considering going for a 2700X ryzen or a gtx 1080 or maybe 2070.

CPU: 2600 Ryzen
RAM: 32gb 3000mhz
GPU: 2x gtx 970 in sli

If the mobile games in the background are mostly idle games then just use task manager(details) to put their Set priority to low,that will keep them from interfering with your main game.
You can also put less resources towards each android session,try running them on only one core each.

Does anthem use SLI?

Personally would swap GPU first as the 970 is equivalent to a 1060 3GB ish from what I remember plus the 3.5GB VRAM will be an issue.

Why not just run the android stuff on a separate low power box running a 2200g or something?

Feb 12, 2019
If the mobile games in the background are mostly idle games then just use task manager(details) to put their Set priority to low,that will keep them from interfering with your main game.
You can also put less resources towards each android session,try running them on only one core each.
I've actually tried doing that, currently they're set to be the default "medium" resources which i think is like 2 cores and 4gb ram in nox but any lower than that and the mobile game tends to crash.
I'll give the priority setting a try though didn't think of that. Hopefully it remains stable

Does anthem use SLI?

Personally would swap GPU first as the 970 is equivalent to a 1060 3GB ish from what I remember plus the 3.5GB VRAM will be an issue.

Why not just run the android stuff on a separate low power box running a 2200g or something?

Tbh I don't know if anthem uses SLI I would be suprised if it did since from what I understand SLI has kind of been dead, but I only have two GPU's since I've had them for like 5 years by now. Having it when its not used doesn't slow me down does it?

I've also tried running these mobile games on the previous machine I had which was an I-5 4670k 16gb ram and I don't know if it was purely a hardware limitation but I was only able to run 2 intsances stably which is partially why I upgraded to the 2600 Ryzen a few months ago. What kind of system specs would be adequate if I were to build a seperate system like you suggest? I assume it would mostly need ram and a good processor to do what I'm trying to do?

I've actually tried doing that, currently they're set to be the default "medium" resources which i think is like 2 cores and 4gb ram in nox but any lower than that and the mobile game tends to crash.
I'll give the priority setting a try though didn't think of that. Hopefully it remains stable

Tbh I don't know if anthem uses SLI I would be suprised if it did since from what I understand SLI has kind of been dead, but I only have two GPU's since I've had them for like 5 years by now. Having it when its not used doesn't slow me down does it?

I've also tried running these mobile games on the previous machine I had which was an I-5 4670k 16gb ram and I don't know if it was purely a hardware limitation but I was only able to run 2 intsances stably which is partially why I upgraded to the 2600 Ryzen a few months ago. What kind of system specs would be adequate if I were to build a seperate system like you suggest? I assume it would mostly need ram and a good processor to do what I'm trying to do?
No idea what specs you’d need unfortunately cos it’s not something I personally do. Could it have been a GPU issue? Cos then you could just transplant a 970 into the new one, sell the second and upgrade to a 1070 which are getting quite cheap now or a 1660Ti