Question CPU/GPU bottlenecking

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
So the title is basicly regarding the topic that am asking about , i read alot about cpu and gpu bottleneck and asked some friends of mine even and yet i cant 100% understand if thats a real issue or something that a person should rly take care of or its just a hoax so i decided to raise a case example of myself and from the answers i get i might understand.

So currently i have a PC thats specs : i5 6500 on an H170 gigabyte gaming 3 mobo
GTX 970
1x16gb ram

My main activities are ofc gaming and when i built this PC was main goal 60 fps but now i wanna play any triple AAA game and specially Cyberpunk when it comes out next year and my current games like WOW Startcraft 2 Diablo OW etc on highest FPS possible or lets say 144fps to 120fps averagely on 1080p reso

My question now is with my i5 6500 can i lets say buy an rtx 2080 super or if i manage to actually wait for Ampere in 2020 and get whats equivlant to 2080 super by then which will ofc be much tougher , will there be a bottleneck coz this cpu would be so weak to accomodate such high end gpus that would limit the gpu potential and limit me in fps and if its a no would this basicly mean i can keep upgrading my gpu to the end of times so long as my cpu is alive and games only optimize 4 cores and doesnt need more.
When exactly as a gamer i should worry that my cpu is weak and needs to be upgraded to coexist with high end gpus to give me the highest FPS possible.

The answer to this concern will be rly important for me to let me spend money in the right direction as right now i have 2 routes i can go for , either grab rtx 2080 super (or just wait for ampere next year) and get a 1080p 144hz monitor with it / else i start building a new full out setup consisting of a new case even (i7 9700k/Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390/850W Gold PSU/ H500M/360 mm Cooler etc ) and then wait till 2020 and grab an ampere high end card since if i do this setup build i wont afford an rtx 2080 now <PS:if u are wondering why would i buy a new setup now without a new GPU and get a new gpu next year and why wouldnt i just wait for next year and get all at once its simply because idont like spending a hefty bunch of funds all at once as this pains me so i am basicly building it in steps to >

Last edited:

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
The 6500 is a quad core with no hyperthreading.
Unless you just want to game, and all your games are GPU intensive, you should be fine getting any graphics card you want.

It will cause somewhat bottleneck tho.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You HAVE to fix that single stick of ram config. That is not ideal for gaming oriented setups.
All adding a stronger card will do is further emphasize the cpu limitation caused by the single stick config. Now, a new 2x 8GB kit would be good - sell the single stick. If you consider just adding another stick, well...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and the same specs can still fail - this combination simply has the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
You HAVE to fix that single stick of ram config. That is not ideal for gaming oriented setups.
All adding a stronger card will do is further emphasize the cpu limitation caused by the single stick config. Now, a new 2x 8GB kit would be good - sell the single stick. If you consider just adding another stick, well...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and the same specs can still fail - this combination simply has the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs.

hello there thx for ur reply , well firstly i actually have an 8gb ram stick thats 2400mhz like this 16gb one i got but i dunno if adding diff capacity rams will cause issues .
secondly i didnt quite get an answer for my concern so far :)

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
if you are adding in a 1 x 16 GB stick to a 1x8, it will cause compatibility issues.
He is right tho, single channel ram in 2019 kinda sucks

You would be better off replacing your current 1 x 8 stick with a 2 x 8 or 2 x 4

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
hello there thx for ur reply , well firstly i actually have an 8gb ram stick thats 2400mhz like this 16gb one i got but i dunno if adding diff capacity rams will cause issues .
secondly i didnt quite get an answer for my concern so far :)
1)It will cause problems. The sticks also need to be identical from either A2/B2 or A1/B1 to run dual channel. The bios will pick up on the different capacities.

2)My first post actually did answer your concern, but you didn't read too much into it, it seems.
You need to fix the single ram config first. Throwing in a stronger gpu will actually yield worse fps.
That, and a 2080 Super will throttle many cpus at 1080p, save for the 9700k/9900k.

RTX 2070 Super/RX 5700XT are the strongest cards I'd recommend for 1080p. But there's still the issue of your I5-6500 being a slow quad core. It will hold back the 2070 Super in cpu heavy games - even with dual channel ram.

Also, to your friend:
Waiting on an even more powerful card just for max 1080p fps - there are some already available, like the 2 I mentioned above! - only amounts to crap fps if the current cpu isn't able to keep up with said almighty card.
Sure, you'll have higher max fps, but the minimums and overall average are going to tank.
This is why some people end up complaining about low fps with their 2080Tis. Only to find out they're playing at 1080p.[2080Ti is not a 1080p card, and horribly outpaces all available cpus in that resolution.]

The cpu + ram is just as important as the gpu. It's all about BALANCE. The PC is only as strong as the weakest link.
Gpu: affects max fps threshold
Cpu + memory: affects the lows and overall average

Pairing their I7-3820 with say, a 3080(or whatever the next card they're going to wait on is), is lopsided, and will only be a significant improvement in max fps. Everything else is going to suck.