[SOLVED] CPU/GPU Bottlenecking

Aug 11, 2020
Hey All, I have just upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super but have retained my I7-3820 CPU overclocked to 4.3, I 'm wondering weather or not this could cause any bottlenecking issues?

While gaming my CPU usage is sitting around 70-80% and GPU usage is sitting between 90-98

Specs:
Cpu i7-3820
GPU RTX 2070
SSD
16GB Ram
P9X79 Motherboard
2560x1440P 144mhz monitor.

Solution
Your I7-3820 has been around for some time.
It has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5868. That is when all 8 threads are fully utilized.
Few games can make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. Multiplayer might be the exception.
The single thread rating is 1778.
Usually, the single thread performance is what matters most to games.
To see how sensitive your games are to cpu performance, try a back handed experiment.
In windows processor management, reduce the max cpu performance from 100% to a lesser number like 80%
That will give you an idea of how important cpu performance is to your games.

While there are some cpu upgrades available for your motherboard, I doubt that you could find one used at a sufficiently attractive price...
Hey All, I have just upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super but have retained my I7-3820 CPU overclocked to 4.3, I 'm wondering weather or not this could cause any bottlenecking issues?

While gaming my CPU usage is sitting around 70-80% and GPU usage is sitting between 90-98

Specs:
Cpu i7-3820
GPU RTX 2070
SSD
16GB Ram
P9X79 Motherboard
2560x1440P 144mhz monitor.
If the GPU usage is staying in the 90's, the bottleneck is very, very small, and in that specific game, you won't see any improvement in FPS with a CPU upgrade - not anything noticeable, anyway.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
There is always a limiting factor.
It might be cpu, gpu, thread count, monitor refresh capability......

If you got the performance increase you expected; good.
If you did not, the likely limiter is the single thread performance of your processor.

Aug 11, 2020
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
There is always a limiting factor.
It might be cpu, gpu, thread count, monitor refresh capability......

If you got the performance increase you expected; good.
If you did not, the likely limiter is the single thread performance of your processor.

I was hoping to see abit more performance than I have, like it’s made a big difference coming from a 1060 but I’m just curious weather or not the CPU is actually a limiting factor with my setup, cause if it’s not then I’m not to fussed because like I said it’s made a big difference, but if it is limiting game performance then I’m more than happy to go out and upgrade the cpu just don’t want to for no reason.

Your I7-3820 has been around for some time.
It has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5868. That is when all 8 threads are fully utilized.
Few games can make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. Multiplayer might be the exception.
The single thread rating is 1778.
Usually, the single thread performance is what matters most to games.
To see how sensitive your games are to cpu performance, try a back handed experiment.
In windows processor management, reduce the max cpu performance from 100% to a lesser number like 80%
That will give you an idea of how important cpu performance is to your games.

While there are some cpu upgrades available for your motherboard, I doubt that you could find one used at a sufficiently attractive price.

For example, a current entry level I3-10100 processor that costs $130 has 8 threads and a rating of 9063 and a single thread rating of 2646.
You would need a $75 B460 based motherboard and perhaps a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit for $60.

Really though, if you were to upgrade, I would go stronger, given the power of your RTX2070.
A I5-10600K and a Z490 based motherboard would be appropriate.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
I was hoping to see abit more performance than I have, like it’s made a big difference coming from a 1060 but I’m just curious weather or not the CPU is actually a limiting factor with my setup, cause if it’s not then I’m not to fussed because like I said it’s made a big difference, but if it is limiting game performance then I’m more than happy to go out and upgrade the cpu just don’t want to for no reason.

From you usage numbers it does not seems to be a huge limitng factor.

How are you measuring the performance increase? Most people tend to only look at the AVG FPS, which is not bad, but thats not the whole story.
Perhaps you just didn't check what was the 1% low FPS result with your old GPU, and you didn't check with the new one either.
For me the AVG FPS is important (of course) but the 1% low is what define how smooth your gameplay is.

TRENDING THREADS