CPU, GPU Combination

NewType78

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I have been mainly hearing that the intel+Nvidia road is the way to go as far as the cpu+gpu combo is concerned. I have read many builds and watched many benchmarks and the results seem more or less split.

to give everyone an idea i am planning on going to SCAD in the coming year for Interactive Design and Game Development. So what would be my best plan of attack? Intel+Radeon or AMD+Nvidia? (obviously im a huge gamer so keep that in mind)

As tiny vioces said above. I have been on both sides and can say for sure that AMD/intel Nvidia/ATI it all depends on your budget and what parts you get. I have two AMD/ATI rigs a AMD FX-8120/6950 and a FX-8350/7950 both with a 8gig ram and can run any game I have 1080p max/ultra with no problems. I went with intel this year only because there was no more room to go up with AMD at the time. So I got a i5 3570K with a GTX 670 and can tell you that the GPU does not feel like a upgrade to me.

If I were not dual booting Windows 8 and OS X 10.8.2 I would have put a 7950 in this build also. The only real thing Nvidia has over AMD is Physx and games that really use it are so few it really is not that important.

NewType78

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

interesting, you didn't notice any real performance boost going from your 7950 to the gtx 670?
and what type of performance have you been getting in games pertaining to the 8350 vs. 3570k, because i know games are optimized mostly for AMD because of the agreement they have with a lot of developers.

NewType78

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I have heard exactly what your saying, but at the same time i have heard that the 8350 beats the 3570k and vice versa. oh and thanks for catching me on some bad info there pertaining to the optimization. meant to say optimized for AMD gpu's. yeah most games dont take advantage of all of the cores AMD has in the 8 core Piledrives cpu's. so thats why i would assume that the 3570k would overall be the clearer choice because of the better per core performance?

JJ1217

Honorable

There is basically no difference between the 7950 and 670 at stock. When overclocked the 7950 can easily surpass the 680, even when the 680 is overclocked.