Jun 19, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm posting this topic today because there doesn't seem to be any clear cut or easily available solution to the issue I'm having. If anyone is able to provide some useful feedback, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Recently I decided to upgrade my old build that I had made back in 2015. It was super dated at this point, and essentially needed to happen.

Old Build:
Intel i3-4390 Dual Core 3.6ghz
Radeon R9 280 3GB GPU
8GB DDR-3 RAM

Was a decent budget build at the time, but this time around I wanted to upgrade a bit,

New build:
Intel i7 9700k 8 Core 3.6ghz
AMD RX 580 8GB GPU
16GB DDR-4 RAM

With the addition of a new SSD, Startup, and performance has been much better, with the exception that some of my games (Even the lower quality ones) are not performing as well as they used to, even YouTube videos have been showing performance issues! However, some of them are performing much better.

I feel like I've gone to the ends of the Earth to figure out why a much better build would be performing worse than an old/outdated build from 5 years ago. I fiddled with Resolution settings, changed between a DVI-D and an HDMI cable, Overclocked the GPU, Tried to use the Radeon Software to regulate framerate, updated my BIOS and all drivers, even reverting back to see if there was any noticeable difference, and nothing was fixing the problem.

I'll admit that I made this build with impulsivity and inattention to detail, and I feel like I'm suffering for it now. I just learned about the term "Bottlenecking" and what exactly it entailed. I ran a test, and sure enough, my GPU is being 100% bottlenecked by the CPU because the CPU I guess is too powerful for it. I really didn't realize such a thing could happen and am wondering if there are any fixes, with the absolute last resort being to upgrade the GPU after just purchasing this one.. If not, I'll take it as a tough pill to swallow, learn, and remember to do more research for next time. If anyone can offer a different solution, again it'd be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR:
OP CPU is Bottlenecking GPU and limiting my performance. Both components are brand new. Looking for a way to fix the issue that doesn't involve replacing the CPU or GPU.

Solution
You're using a TV or an actual monitor? Overscan typically only happens on TVs. You'll need to look for your scan/zoom settings on your TV and select "just scan"
Bottleneck means to hold back, to prevent flow (like the neck of a bottle). So your CPU cannot be both too fast and a bottleneck at the same time.

Is the monitor cable connected to the GPU and not the rear IO panel of the motherboard?

Is the 8 pin power cable attached to the RX580?

What are your CPU and GPU temps while the system is loaded (think in-game)

Jun 19, 2020
Bottleneck means to hold back, to prevent flow (like the neck of a bottle). So your CPU cannot be both too fast and a bottleneck at the same time.

Is the monitor cable connected to the GPU and not the rear IO panel of the motherboard?

Is the 8 pin power cable attached to the RX580?

What are your CPU and GPU temps while the system is loaded (think in-game)

CPU Stays between 50-60C and GPU gets up around 50C

Monitor Cable is connected directly into the HDMI port on the graphics card, and previously was in the DVI-D port. Neither of which changed the situation.

8 pin power cable is attached.
Im not really sure it will be a bottleneck. That's still a good build. Have you try another GPU driver version ? and can you provide your full systems ?

I've tried a different GPU driver version with no change.

Intel i7-9700k
AMD RX580 8GB
16GB DDR-4 RAM 3200Mhz (2 8x Cards)
ASUS ROG-Strix Z390-E MB
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB
WD Blue 1TB HD.
EVGA 80+ Bronze 550Watt Power Supply.

Jun 19, 2020
50-60C on a CPU and 50C on a GPU are idle temps.

Try going into AMD Settings, Performance Tab, Tuning Tab, Enable Power Tuning, and increasing the Power Limit % to +20%

Did that. GPU Temp went to around 75C after. The thing is my GPU is reading that one game is putting out 120FPS, and another is putting out 400FPS when it's clearly between 30-40FPS. My refresh rate is set to 60hz, and I tried capping the frame limit to 60 in the AMD Software with no change. I don't have this problem with games that require a much greater hardware demand. It's games that don't really require much, and YouTube videos that I'm having problems with.

Jun 19, 2020
So as it turns out, the issue was AMD's "HDMI Scaling."

The default scaling on my display breaches outside the corners of the monitor, so I was using HDMI scaling to fit the image. As it turns out, on newer AMD cards, HDMI scaling causes the system to run at 30FPS.

Does anyone know how I can fit my image without the use of HDMI scaling?