[SOLVED] CPU+GPU+MB upgrade

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Hello!
I've been thinking about upgrading my CPU GPU and MB since it won't be compatible with my new cpu would be nice if the new MB would be compatible with my ram.
This is my current system.
MB:ASROCK Z87PRO3
CPU INTEL I3 4330
GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX760
SSD SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB
RAM 4gbx3 HYPER X FURY DDR3 1600MHZ
OS WIN 10
MONITOR ACER PREDATOR XB271HA 144HZ

I've noticed my cpu will be at 90-100c while playing civ vi/(20smth fps during lategame and kinda laggy)grounded/ and a 80-95 in rimworld (also low fps during lategame)
and 50-60c idle.Also when playing games it'll be at 90-100% usage while the gpu is at 60-75%.
I could change the cpu paste but since its pretty old I'd rather get a new one.

What do you guys think I should change first the cpu or the gpu?
Also I'd appreciate it if you could suggest a top 4-5 cpu/mb/gpu to have more options budget would be around 200-250$ for cpu and 100-150$ for mb for gpu 200-300$

Solution
i've never been too partial to one brand or another. i've bought and liked MSI, GB and ASrock boards. Asus for some reason bothers me. nothing concrete but for some reason i don't like something about them.

i went with a GB b450 aorus pro wifi this time around to pair with my 3700x. but what makes a god mobo for you is the features you need/want. i wanted to be sure there were plenty of fan headers and this one had a bunch as well as AIO and RGB strip headers!! It also had USB-C which i wanted.

i start at newegg or maybe pcpartpicker and start using the filters to narrow down results. then start looking deeper into what sets them apart from each other. once you have it down to a few options, pick based on price and looks. you don't...
That's way too hot, get a tube of mx4 or similar, you can re-use the tube when building a new system as well.
A decent cpu upgrade on your system would cost $100+, which is about the same price for a much better modern chip. But a i5 4570 should cost ~$40 on the used market, it could be paired with a rx570 or gtx 1060/1650 Super.

For a new system, where are you situated? USA?

Reactions: seimet11

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
That's way too hot, get a tube of mx4 or similar, you can re-use the tube when building a new system as well.
A decent cpu upgrade on your system would cost $100+, which is about the same price for a much better modern chip. But a i5 4570 should cost ~$40 on the used market, it could be paired with a rx570 or gtx 1060/1650 Super.

For a new system, where are you situated? USA?
Yeah USA thanks for the answer.Also I'd rather get a new one than a used one.Thought I'd get the ryzen 5 3600 but I never had an AMD only Intel and idk if it's better than a same value intel one

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right now IMO the ryzen has a bunch of benefits over a new intel cpu. the biggest one is power to performance. the intel chips use a ton of power right now and pretty much need a water cooler just to function normally. overclocking makes this problem a lot worse. AMD is pretty much the same performance with similar priced intel cpu's with perhaps a few less fps here and there if you overclock the crap out of the intel cpu (again at the cost of crazy power usage)

the value with a 3600 over an intel cpu is a lot. cheaper motherboards, much less cooling needs and of course newer tech in pcie 4.0 if you wish to spend a lot for it. intel will catch up eventually when they finally get 7/10 nm working and can put out in bulk their new stuff. but for now, AMD is the way to go.

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
right now IMO the ryzen has a bunch of benefits over a new intel cpu. the biggest one is power to performance. the intel chips use a ton of power right now and pretty much need a water cooler just to function normally. overclocking makes this problem a lot worse. AMD is pretty much the same performance with similar priced intel cpu's with perhaps a few less fps here and there if you overclock the crap out of the intel cpu (again at the cost of crazy power usage)

the value with a 3600 over an intel cpu is a lot. cheaper motherboards, much less cooling needs and of course newer tech in pcie 4.0 if you wish to spend a lot for it. intel will catch up eventually when they finally get 7/10 nm working and can put out in bulk their new stuff. but for now, AMD is the way to go.
Sounds great thanks a lot do you have any MB brand or model to suggest that will be compatible with my ram too?The 3600 seems really good for 200$.Also any gpu suggestions?I'd prefer nvidia since my monitor has some nvidia g sync.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've never been too partial to one brand or another. i've bought and liked MSI, GB and ASrock boards. Asus for some reason bothers me. nothing concrete but for some reason i don't like something about them.

i went with a GB b450 aorus pro wifi this time around to pair with my 3700x. but what makes a god mobo for you is the features you need/want. i wanted to be sure there were plenty of fan headers and this one had a bunch as well as AIO and RGB strip headers!! It also had USB-C which i wanted.

i start at newegg or maybe pcpartpicker and start using the filters to narrow down results. then start looking deeper into what sets them apart from each other. once you have it down to a few options, pick based on price and looks. you don't need a top end super over engineered board for the 3600 so no need to spend $300+ for one really.

as for GPU, the cpu is plenty strong enough for anyone you wish to put in there. so it really boils down to your budget and what you wish to use it for. 1080p at 60 fps vs 1440p at 100 fps is a big difference in the card needed. so again evaluate what you want it to do and start looking at what can do it vs what your budget is. i chose a 1650 super for price and performance. i don't game much and it easily does 1080p at 60 fps for me. i don't need all the eye candy. on the older games i play it easily maxes out my 144 hz screen so i more than happy with it. but you may want the eye candy or high resolution or whatever makes you happy when playing.

you did not list your psu and that factors big into what gpu you can run as well. make sure it can power whatever gpu you are looking at. post the model number and i can factor that in as well for you if you need a new one or not.

edit: do note that i just caught you have ddr3 ram and anything new will need ddr4 ram so factor that into the price. something like this would be more than enough for a solid gaming rig.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $327.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-29 15:40 EDT-0400

just over $300 is real good for what you get. then start thinking of how much you can spend for the gpu and what you need it to do.

Last edited:
Solution

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $327.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-29 15:40 EDT-0400

just over $300 is real good for what you get. then start thinking of how much you can spend for the gpu and what you need it to do.

Oh yeah my psu is a seasonic 700w focus gold bought a year ago I think it should be fine.
I really like the ones you suggested I'll be ordering these for sure and the 1650 looks great for me.
Thank you very much for your help truly appreciate it everybody!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
note there is a rather big difference between the 1650 and 1650 super. it's worth the few extra bucks for the super version at around $160. it's a big price jump to the 1660 at $215 or so starting. if you wish to go that high, then the extra $20 for the 1660 super is worth it. when doing my searching i decided on a 1650 super or 1660 super based on prices. i went with the 1650 super when i found a great sale price for it and only paid $145 for it!!

this is what i got

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R8...-itx-oc-video-card-gtx-1650-super-aero-itx-oc

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
note there is a rather big difference between the 1650 and 1650 super. it's worth the few extra bucks for the super version at around $160. it's a big price jump to the 1660 at $215 or so starting. if you wish to go that high, then the extra $20 for the 1660 super is worth it. when doing my searching i decided on a 1650 super or 1660 super based on prices. i went with the 1650 super when i found a great sale price for it and only paid $145 for it!!

this is what i got

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R8...-itx-oc-video-card-gtx-1650-super-aero-itx-oc
Oh the 1660 super seems really worth it I think I'll go with that could you suggest 1-2 more MBS and 1-2 ram options just in case?Thanks again!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the MSI "MAX" series of mobo's are all good quality. there are a handful of different models over all the chipsets with the tomahawk being the most popular and hard to find right now. the ROG Gaming boards can be pretty well priced and also not too expensive for some models. they are probably the most suggested out there. i also like the ASRock Pro 4 mobo's.

note these models all come in b450, b550 and x570 varities. prices vary daily and each one can be a good buy depending on price.

as for ram. i chose CAS 18 and 3600 speed ram. pretty much any other models with these specs are also good. 3200 speed has less issues and CAS 16 models of that speed are easy to find as well. i'm personally using 3200 speed myself as i got a good sale price the day i bought for the 32gb i wanted. was worth the slightly lower speed for the $30 i saved!!

can you tell i'm all about sale prices :)

seimet11

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
the MSI "MAX" series of mobo's are all good quality. there are a handful of different models over all the chipsets with the tomahawk being the most popular and hard to find right now. the ROG Gaming boards can be pretty well priced and also not too expensive for some models. they are probably the most suggested out there. i also like the ASRock Pro 4 mobo's.

note these models all come in b450, b550 and x570 varities. prices vary daily and each one can be a good buy depending on price.

as for ram. i chose CAS 18 and 3600 speed ram. pretty much any other models with these specs are also good. 3200 speed has less issues and CAS 16 models of that speed are easy to find as well. i'm personally using 3200 speed myself as i got a good sale price the day i bought for the 32gb i wanted. was worth the slightly lower speed for the $30 i saved!!

can you tell i'm all about sale prices :)
Sounds great I'm always looking for sales too bought my monitor with a 50% discount thank you again very much for your help really appreciate it!!!