Question CPU/GPU/Mobo/RAM Upgrade steps with Windows 10

Sep 9, 2020
Okay. So please bear with me. I have been doing a lot of research and reading (and started posting here as well) with regards to my PC upgrade. I have come to a decision on the components I am going to upgrade (CPU/GPU/Mobo/RAM) and what I am going to buy. The next step was getting an idea of what I have gotten into post installation.

From what I understand a clean install of Windows 10 (which I currently have) is the best route for multiple reasons. My plan is to purchase and install windows on a clean hard drive (Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB). I could use a hard drive upgrade. Based on my limited understanding the following is what I can expect:

Prior to Upgrade Installation
• Back up files to external hard drive
• Create installation media via Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (complete - USB)
o I have digital Windows 10 license and account is linked to Microsoft with username/password
• Disable the Secure Boot and Fast Boot in the BIOS/UEFI (Not sure this applies with mobo change)
• Disconnect all internal and external drives except the target drive

Component Installation
• Removal of current CPU, GPU, and mobo.
• Install RAM, CPU, and cooling fan to mobo.
• Install new mobo and reconnect all cables and target hard drive

Post Installation
• Start computer and after it finishes the Post Initialization process it should recognize and boot from the attached USB created earlier
• Follow the set-up steps and use guides provided in this forum (which have been most helpful)
o Windows 10 clean install tutorial
• Once set up – reactivate using information for linked Microsoft account
• Connect remaining hard drives internally

A few questions:

1. Should I download the most recent drivers for the motherboard and chip set onto a USB prior to component upgrade? Or can I update all the drivers post installation?

2. I plan to use my old hard drives. The plan was reformat my hard drive with the old windows files and info and then transfer any other files back to it from the external back up. That okay to do?

I apologize for the length of this post. I have done a lot of reading and the forums and guides have been great but with all the information out there I wanted to have a solid plan before I jumped off this cliff. I am hoping to do it the right way the first time. Excited to give this a shot.

I am super green at this so all advice, ideas, and constructive criticism is welcome.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You might need a clean install of windows, but I doubt it if you already have windows 10 on your drive. You might just need to buy another product key - from microsoft or from oem key reatilers on line.

Okay. So please bear with me. I have been doing a lot of research and reading (and started posting here as well) with regards to my PC upgrade. I have come to a decision on the components I am going to upgrade (CPU/GPU/Mobo/RAM) and what I am going to buy. The next step was getting an idea of what I have gotten into post installation.

From what I understand a clean install of Windows 10 (which I currently have) is the best route for multiple reasons. My plan is to purchase and install windows on a clean hard drive (Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB). I could use a hard drive upgrade. Based on my limited understanding the following is what I can expect:

Prior to Upgrade Installation
• Back up files to external hard drive
• Create installation media via Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (complete - USB)
o I have digital Windows 10 license and account is linked to Microsoft with username/password
• Disable the Secure Boot and Fast Boot in the BIOS/UEFI (Not sure this applies with mobo change)
• Disconnect all internal and external drives except the target drive

Component Installation
• Removal of current CPU, GPU, and mobo.
• Install RAM, CPU, and cooling fan to mobo.
• Install new mobo and reconnect all cables and target hard drive

Post Installation
• Start computer and after it finishes the Post Initialization process it should recognize and boot from the attached USB created earlier
• Follow the set-up steps and use guides provided in this forum (which have been most helpful)
o Windows 10 clean install tutorial
• Once set up – reactivate using information for linked Microsoft account
• Connect remaining hard drives internally

A few questions:

1. Should I download the most recent drivers for the motherboard and chip set onto a USB prior to component upgrade? Or can I update all the drivers post installation?

2. I plan to use my old hard drives. The plan was reformat my hard drive with the old windows files and info and then transfer any other files back to it from the external back up. That okay to do?

I apologize for the length of this post. I have done a lot of reading and the forums and guides have been great but with all the information out there I wanted to have a solid plan before I jumped off this cliff. I am hoping to do it the right way the first time. Excited to give this a shot.

I am super green at this so all advice, ideas, and constructive criticism is welcome.
Your plan is OK.
Be careful to attach only the target HDD / SSD when installing your new Win 10.
After that you can re-activate by using your licence attached to your Microsoft account (no need of a new licence).
Win 10 will install pretty all drivers at installation, but you can always download more recent drivers if you want, after Windows installation.

And the "Disable the Secure Boot and Fast Boot in the BIOS/UEFI " part is not relevant, as you change the mobo.

TRENDING THREADS