CPU, GPU or PSU problem? maybe HDD? Any help thanks

Feb 25, 2018
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8320FRHKBOX
XFX Radeon R9 390X DirectX 12 R9-390X-8256 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model TLYD38G2133HC11ADC01
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020061-NA)
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump, INTEL/AMD with AM4 Support
4 - 80mm side fans

Quick rundown, my computer kept going to black screen in middle of medium-high resource games; I ran HWmonitor to see if something was overheating; CPU was sometimes running 70c idling; I got cooler master 120 lite and installed, CPU now idling around 20c; so that was fixed but ever since i put cooler in, I am getting now artifacts/flickering to freezing and crashing my system; thought my GPU was overheating, hottest it got was 70c under load, idles at 30c, but during crash times, i did feel hotter air than what HWmonitor was saying at 70c, but maybe not, just for note;

things i tried in between; replacing SATA, PCI-E cords from PSU, resitting RAM, cleaning the hell out of everything, applying new thermal paste to GPU

Heres the mess of what happens
https://imgur.com/a/9S3DQ

NOTE - sometimes i can play for 5-10 minutes, sometimes its mere seconds, but it does mean that the card isnt complete shot

How can I tell if GPU is going bad, or if im trying to get much wattage than i have, or if CPU is just damaged even though i have temp stablized?

For CPU check if it has backplate the cooler that it doesn't touch any components behind.
As for GPU for that artifacts,have you tried to reinstall drivers, download DDU and latest drivers (not automatic, select your card) and go to safe mode https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10 and clean and restart and install your drivers.
You could try to clean with isopropyl alcohol and brush (same as replacing thermal paste and etc.) and buy it with spray to easier clean (sometimes dust can do that).
But which PSU do you have and which version is your R9 390 (2GB,4GB 8GB)?
Because i think your PSU may not handle it as you say medium-high(which PSU do you have)?
Usually when GPU overheats it shuts off (have tried :D).
Are you sure that your GPU isnt sagging down?

Feb 25, 2018

CPU cooler backplate doesnt appear to be touching anything, just out of curiosity what problem would that pose?

I have tried using DDU and installing gpu and mobo drivers, but i did not try the safe mode approach, will try that tomorrow.

yea i cleaned pretty good, used alcohol to clean up, spray canned dust out of everything, didnt seem to help any

here is PSU https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MU8VCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
here is GPU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727
here is CPU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

do you mean sagging down as in not sitting correctly in case? if so i have back locked into slot and 2 screws on front, so i dont think so

Dude, your using cheap unknown PSU lol.
Oh and by sagging i meant this
1442987459155.jpg

But you need new PSU.
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, G3 are recommended,
Cooler Master V750
SeaSonic 650W
Yeah a bit pricey but it shouldn't kill your system.

You can clearly see that it gives 25A (if that hahahaha) on 12V rail,and 38A on 5V (lol nope) it doesn't matter the WHOLE wattage, but mostly on 12V cause its on main components how they operate, fan HDD, motherboard CPU and etc.
Your GPU requires minimum 30A soo you can clearly calculate that you are overusing that poorly made PSU.
Always be sure that you are buying right components otherwise you might damage something, even get flames.
Mine almost caught fire if i hadn't change position.
Screenshot_20180225_123313.jpg

91vBMxj-HkL._SL1500_.jpg

(just showing you/saying what could might happen.

Feb 25, 2018

oh wow im an idiot, i posted the wrong PSU, this is the one i have https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020061-NA/dp/B00ALK3KEM
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020061-NA)
I must have posted that one from a built i did years ago.

my gpu doesnt appear to be sagging at all

sorry for the misinformation, ill update post.

and now back to square one

Now, i would like to run DDU in safe mode (if windows 7 just restart couple of times) for windows 10 https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10 Shift+restart method.
After you downloaded DDU, run clean and restart, download latest drivers (don't choose automaticly) download specific for that GPU series, install them and try again.
Otherwise have you installed MSI afterburner or similar program?

Feb 25, 2018

alright so i ran in safe mode and used DDU, then installed the correct driver, from what ive tried lower setting games are fine, medium-high still tweak out, i was able to play sniper elite nazi army for 10 minutes once, then it locked up, then next time i tried it went about 3 minutes before i started seeing graphic errors then locked up pc.

i dont have afterburner, i think the AMD equivalent is overdrive? im probably wrong but yea, still not workign correctly so far

Go to event viewer and search by date and time trought Windows Logs,
Soo in Application and System look for errors.

Download CCleaner and run both normal and registry (remember it will delete everything in web broweser history and cookies (cookies are passwords)).

Soo basicly this started to happen after new cooler?

Try to re install ram's , after you push them back in, wiggle them a bit left right while still pushing lightly in (to be sure they have good contact).

Feb 25, 2018

yea this started happening after i installed cpu cooler....the events leading to me installing the cooler was CPU temp idling at 70c and overheating around 80c....that problem got fixed, but now im gettin all sort of graphical bugs/artifacts, crashing and freezing.
i have tried to resit RAM as you said

from yesterday; after running DDU in safe mode and clean install of driver that says it was successful when it finished;

3-5x different ones; Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070103: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 9/22/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.677.257.
3x ------Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
30x-----DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}

so after install it says successfully installed but looking at the event logs it shows all these...

and just to make sure im dling the right driver https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-300-Series-Drivers.aspx , amd radeon r9 390x is the one im downloading....im almost 100% sure its right but just double checking

Try this, go to Control panel->System and Security->System
Then under left select Advanced system settings
Then Hardware tab-> Device installation settings,
Select no, if allows option for let use generic if none installed select that (optional).
Now sometimes it happened to me that i installed GPU drivers but drivers wasn't active,
try to restart system and right click amd control panel (or howerver its name it is).
If it says that it isn't installed, Run DDU again in safe mode and don't install drivers yet cause you set to no in Advanced settings.

Remember where you extracted that AMD installation for GPU?
Now go to device manager,
Display adapters->Generic/However the name it is->Right click update,
Then browse for drivers (where you extracted the drivers)
Just select the folder and tick "Include subfolders"
And it should install after some time (usually 5 min)
Then if prompts to restart, restart it.

Other may be that chipset driver is in conflict with something???
or you bend the motherboard while installing cooler (worst case scenario)

If all that doesn't work, try one stick of ram in each slot untill you stop getting errors, and also re seat CPU , or try stock cooler if it isn't problem at all (or previous cooler you had, cooler shouldn't give problems).

Im really not sure why should installing cpu give such errors?
Be sure that you haven't bent the motherboard too much.

But after you install drivers via update driver you won't get amd control panel.

Feb 25, 2018
Alright before I was going to do all that, i borrowed a gtx 660, used DDU and installed drivers for that card, and have yet find one gfx error....so i think its safe to say my card is going out?

if so what would you suggest as a replacement? ive been told that my CPU will be holding back(bottlenecking) my GPU no matter how good it is....my budget isnt that great, so any suggestions would be great