[SOLVED] Cpu - Gpu pairing

Apr 17, 2020
What do you take into account when selecting a GPU for your setup? Are there any rules of thumb to follow to make sure I get a good graphics card for my CPU's Ability?

P.S. in advance; I appreciate people trying to help by having me list a parts list or budget, but I am trying to select the parts for myself. I appreciate all help, but I really want to be able to know for myself.

Solution
Agreed, I would just like to ad that playing at or up to 1008p mostly works on CPU and at higher resolutions it's GPU that does most work.
4/4 or 4/8 cores/ threads is barely enough nowadays but with high IPC/frequency is passable. If you want to run anything else during gaming, 6/6 or 6/12 are a must, high res streaming would benefit most on more cores.
being cpu bound is rare these days, gpus advance much faster than cpus.

the general rule of thumb is, 4 fast core (6/7th gen i7 and ryzen 3's like the 1200af and 3300X)
is enough to not slow down any gpu in gaming

6 cores is the current sweet spot like an i5, or ryzen 5. its better for gaming than 4 cores, but not by a lot, but allows for background stuff while gaming with no performance hit.

more than that is mostly useless for gaming, and will only be used for uses like video editing and general productivity.

Even a 2080ti won't be (severely) bottlenecked by a new modern 4 core cpu
a 3600X would be the best cpu for gaming, regardless of gpu.

Reactions: EJ Morin
Agreed, I would just like to ad that playing at or up to 1008p mostly works on CPU and at higher resolutions it's GPU that does most work.
4/4 or 4/8 cores/ threads is barely enough nowadays but with high IPC/frequency is passable. If you want to run anything else during gaming, 6/6 or 6/12 are a must, high res streaming would benefit most on more cores.

Reactions: EJ Morin
Solution